Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it weren't for traffic lights, and traffic, I'd average well in excess of 20mph. I managed a top of 18.35mph today. I might get (and setup) a cycle computer to push me a little harder.

What I did notice today, using gears, that I kept up a faster pace without actually being in top.

Averages mean nothing to me, no matter how fast/slow I seem to ride and whether it is on my commute, a leisure ride or the rarer event I always get about the same 12-14....

Avergae depends upon wind speed. My commute is all rural, apart from about 1/2 a mile through our village, so on a still day I can maintain 18mph average. My new PB for the commute, 11.5 miles, is 33 minutes 23 secs.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

gavintc

Guru
I am very fortunate as I effectively have no traffic lights on my commute, just some minor congestion where the road narrows. So I can pretty much keep clipped in and moving for the whole commute. The high temperatures are my problem. It was 31C coming home tonight, making the hill climbs very sweaty. I am currently average 28kmh (17 mph) over the 46km return journey and that includes 500 m of climb.

peppyuk

I normally average between 14 and 16mph on an almost 9 mile each way ride.

No traffic lights, but a couple of busy round-a-bouts although they don't normally cause me to lose much time.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I like to cruise between 19 -21mph (anything slower actually feels like harder work?!) but with lights, hills and traffic I average far less at around 16mph over 40 miles.

Cruising at higher speed is great as you really feel like you are making progress and are almost up with the cars (faster in a lot of areas!) but there is something special about riding slowly (10mph) that I adore...just pedalling along, no sweat, no puffing, no drama, wind in your hair, relaxed and happy.

If I ride in the sticks, I adopt a much more leisurely pace

Top Bottom