Avid BB5 brake adjuster seizure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldunonabike

I recently came to replace the pads on my front brake and found that the inside adjuster ring would not move. It appeared to have seized up completely. After struggling to free the piece so that I could remove the old pads I resorted to buying a new brake set. Now I note that the back brake is similarly afflicted. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there something I can do to prevent repetition or is this just old age and UK weather?

si_c

Guru
I recently came to replace the pads on my front brake and found that the inside adjuster ring would not move. It appeared to have seized up completely. After struggling to free the piece so that I could remove the old pads I resorted to buying a new brake set. Now I note that the back brake is similarly afflicted. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there something I can do to prevent repetition or is this just old age and UK weather?
I've found with cable disc brakes that it is worth while fully disassembling, cleaning and regreasing them some time in spring especially if you do a lot of wet weather riding or when the roads have been heavily gritted. You can probably still disassemble the front brake and rebuild it to get it working again - and if you can you'll know what you need to do for the rear.

I have cable Avids on my Croix de Fer, I forget whether they are BB5 or 7. My LBS has replaced the calipers several times now, they seem to only last a couple of winters before the range of adjustment becomes too limited to allow the fitting of new pads. I’m not mechanically competent enough to disassemble and lube them, but I don’t recall them being very expensive to replace.

OP
OP
O

Oldunonabike

I've found with cable disc brakes that it is worth while fully disassembling, cleaning and regreasing them some time in spring especially if you do a lot of wet weather riding or when the roads have been heavily gritted. You can probably still disassemble the front brake and rebuild it to get it working again - and if you can you'll know what you need to do for the rear.
Thanks for this, but how easy is it to disassemble the calliper unit? Is there an Avid manual available?

Top Bottom