Avon So Soft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

been advised to buy the stuff by others on uk.rec.cycling (anyone ever use that usenet forum?)

Oh god there are some maniacs on there... Do you still read it?

Beardie

The funny thing is that Avon is fully aware of the reputation their stuff has re midges, but can't advertise it as insect repellant in the UK because of all the testing and official approval that would require. If you visit their US website, things are quite different: it is advertised openly as being effective against midges.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
#3 is to a nature reserve with school today, letter home on Friday advised 'that after the problems experienced on last years trip, we advise you apply some insect repellent to your child'
# 2 went with his class last year...He was the only one not to come back covered in big red lumps LOL!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
certainly seemed to work for me on the weekend

I did get bitten on the legs once I switched to 3/4 length shorts and forgot to apply any on my legs, but hands and face and neck were fine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It definitely works. The dry oil body spray is what you want; this is just perfume mixed with a light mineral oil.

Here:Skin so Soft

Nobody knows why it works so well, I work for a perfume manufacturer and we supply Avon (not this perfume sadly) and we'd love to know what is in it. There may be a bit of citronella but my own belief is that the strong green ferny smell is quite close to the smell of damp foliage and confuses the midges' ability to detect exhaled CO2, it really does surround you with an aura of a stinky green herbal fougere smell, which is actually related to Brut in perfumery terms.

Also the mineral oil will remain on the skin for a long time and will hold down some of the volatile aroma molecules, which may taste repugnant to midges.

DEET works but I don't like the stickiness and the fact that it is excreted in your urine for 24 hours after you've applied it.

roller0605

I live on the Isle of Mull west coast Scotland and definitely recommend Skin so Soft as do all the hardy foresters! No nasty chemicals - but DON'T get it in your eyes. You won't see anything for a couple of hours.....yep speaking from experience.

soulful dog

Veteran
Avon skin so soft works for lots of people but not everyone. Marmite for me (have to eat it, not wear it!)

Yep, I've just found out to my cost that it doesn't work for everyone, as I ended up taking an allergic reaction to it. Didn't think it made much difference to the midges anyway, though I'm not one of those who is badly bothered by them in the first place.

rowan 46

Über Member
I'm afraid it's a trial and error thing, marnite works for my daughter but not me avon for my partner and jungle strength deet gives me some protection. I often wonder what scottish midges live on when I'm not around. nb The Queen is reputed to use the Avon stuff at Balmoral

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Midges don't have very strong mouthparts and are very small. Skin So Soft does nothing to repel the blighters, it only stops them being able to bite because you are coated in a layer of oil they are unable to penetrate. A thick slathering of suncream will have the same effect -- any oil-based substance that leaves a layer of oil on your skin will do the job. Iit clogs their tubes and makes their feet sticky, or something. Soaks into their spiracles and suffocates the little sh!*s.

As I find the attention of the midges equally irritating, I prefer to use something that genuinely stops them coming close enough to get in my ears, eyes or nose and use the gold-label lifesystems insect repellant or some other Deet equivalent. If they are being particularly persistent and I'm sticking tent pegs into the ground, where they kip, then a midge hat and full-body cover is the only way to go.

Experimentation suggests that a rolling speed of about 10kph is necessary for them not to be able to keep up with the bike.

And don't even think about clegs!

Sam

Top Bottom