Aw hub ...rough bearings??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
My 1985 sturmey archer AW hub is turning really roughly, grinding then freeing up, grinding again etc....it still goes, but when riding it feels sluggish like the brakes are rubbing. It changes gear faultlessly BTW but I've also noticed pedals turn when pushing the bike along.
This all seems to have started after I was liberally spraying the chain & sprocket with GT85 (getting rid of 30 yes of gunky goo) ...related??
I'm REALLY not looking forward to stripping it down -any suggestions?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like some of the gunk may have got into the wheel bearings.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6krXSs-lc&feature=player_detailpage

have fun

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Noooooooooooooo.....!!!!!:cry:

That video is actually really easy to follow. I had an old 1968 hub and hadn't ever worked on SA hubs before. Everything is exactly as it states in the video. I had to replace a couple of pawl springs (easy as well) and then rebuild. I used good thick differential oil applied via a dropper when rebuilding. The next video deals with putting it back together.

Nothing to fear there!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If it were mine I'd be tempted to fill the hub up with a thin oil or diesel (assuming it has a filler in the hub body) and ride it for a couple of miles to see if that flushed out the gunk. It'd make a mess of the rear wheel so I'd have some soapy water ready to wash the rim and tyre clean when I got back but I wouldn't do it on a rainy day and I'd be going slowly so I didn't have to use the back brake and the oil didn't spray all over the bike (and me)

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Well here's the thing -we're going on a bit of a cycling holiday for a week in Cornwall this Saturday....timing eh? ....& I'm working till Thursday... & the rudge is still in bits... bugger!!!

mikeymustard

Veteran
Sounds like some of the gunk may have got into the wheel bearings.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6krXSs-lc&feature=player_detailpage

have fun

Well here's the thing -we're going on a bit of a cycling holiday for a week in Cornwall this Saturday....timing eh? ....& I'm working till Thursday... & the rudge is still in bits... bugger!!!
You're more than welcome to borrow my claud for your trip (i don't mind if it gets wet) you have to pass me on your way to Cornwall anyway

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Hey thanks Mr mustard! ... If I don't get it fixed I just might give you a call...now a claud sounds like a nice v. prospect you just might not get it back lol :angel:

mikeymustard

Veteran
Hey thanks Mr mustard! ... If I don't get it fixed I just might give you a call...now a claud sounds like a nice v. prospect you just might not get it back lol :angel:
Oh I'm sure we can come to some sort of ransom agreement - I was gonna say the wife but i bet you'd be glad of a few days peace and quiet ^_^

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Oh I'm sure we can come to some sort of ransom agreement - I was gonna say the wife but i bet you'd be glad of a few days peace and quiet ^_^
sounds a reasonable swap... Ha
Well I finished work early & bit the bullet -the hub came apart in minutes everything was really loose i hardly needed a spanner! Which was probably the problem.....adjustment doh :whistle: -I'll get some grease tomorrow & fingers crossed it all goes back together...

Attachments

• IMG_20150929_174114.jpg
    IMG_20150929_174114.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom