Award points at TT's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello
Im want to get a few friends together to do some TT throughout the summer and want to record times to see how we have improved and assign some points for a end of season treat.
But really dont know how to work out a scoring system, although Im thinking of giving points for turning up obviously, for PB's but dont know how many points :wacko:

Also how does the time keeper keeps time, I would get so confused to keep track with a stop watch :blush: how do they do it?

If anyone has any info that could help me I would really appreciate it

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
With time keeping, they have stop watches, you set off at intervals of a minute and record the time the rider passed the finish, then deduct the time that they were sheduled to start.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hello
Im want to get a few friends together to do some TT throughout the summer and want to record times to see how we have improved and assign some points for a end of season treat.
But really dont know how to work out a scoring system, although Im thinking of giving points for turning up obviously, for PB's but dont know how many points :wacko:

Also how does the time keeper keeps time, I would get so confused to keep track with a stop watch :blush: how do they do it?

If anyone has any info that could help me I would really appreciate it

Thanks

The local TT league awards points 50 for 1st place, down to 6 for 45th and then 5 for all other riders who complete (for 10's, 25's). For longer distances the points to the winner is increased and the points go further down the table. If you are all riding the same events can you not do something similar, create a race within a race, say there is 5 of you, the winner gets 50 points, 2nd, 40, 3rd, 30 and so on? Or just work the points out based on peoples actual positions using the points system I described above and keep a record of them?

Timing works quite simply, they know what time each rider sets off, when each rider passes the finish they record the riders number and the time they finished, then deduct the start time from that to deduce the ride time.

400bhp

Guru
Depends upon the initial differences between the riders. If they are quite far apart speed/time wise you may want to set up a handicap scoring system too.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Depends upon the initial differences between the riders. If they are quite far apart speed/time wise you may want to set up a handicap scoring system too.

Hi 400bhp, you are quite right! Also I want to award and motivate people that even though are not winners or fast, still make huge improvements.
How do I work out an Handicap scoring system?
Thanks again :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
1 simple way:

Set a "base" time and/or average for each rider on their first run. Then have some kind of points system based on improvements.

E.g., a rider does an initial 10 mile TT in 25 mins. For every second above, below 25 mins award a point (negative if greater than 25 mins).

You could award separate points for turning up.

You could even have some weighting for weather conditions - e.g. positive points count double on a wet and windy run and, say, no negative points awarded.

If you are going to do it this way, then don't let the riders know what you're planning otherwise you might see some slow base runs. :whistle:

Spartak