Awesome Hobby!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Hi Guys, Newbie here.

Cycle2Work scheme started at work so grabbed a road bike after wanting one for years, and planning to get one next Spring anyway. The saving meant I could get a better bike for the same money, so grabbed a Defy 1 in 2014 guise.

Went for my first ride last week, with 19 miles done. Second ride out yesterday, with 23 miles. Can't believe how much I am loving it!!!

Not been doing much exercise for years, so thought I would be less fit, but going ok so far albeit slower on the hills.

Thought I would join up and gain some experienced advice on gear.

Not got anything aside from bike and Giro helmet, so need everything. Funds are relatively limited, but I don't like to buy cheap and buy twice either. How would you prioritise?

Want a GPS based computer, although could use my iPhone I guess?

Bib Shorts and Jersey?

Clipless Pedals and Shoes?

What other gear do you suggest? Both for maintenance and riding?

Cheers all! :smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Track pump

:welcome: to CC

Not got anything aside from bike and Giro helmet, so need everything. Funds are relatively limited, but I don't like to buy cheap and buy twice either. How would you prioritise?

Look on the classifieds HERE, there's usually always someone selling something, you do need to check it often though.

Want a GPS based computer, although could use my iPhone I guess?

The Garmin Edge 200 is highly recommended. It doesn't do full mapping, but does allow you to download routes onto it and follow them on a breadcrumb trail on screen. It's a great piece of kit IME :thumbsup: Smartphones are OK, but as your distances increase you may find the battery starts to struggle to keep up.

Bib Shorts and Jersey? Clipless Pedals and Shoes?

All essential IMO. Bib shorts for comfort, jersey for comfort and pockets, (storage), clipless for pedaling efficiency. Oh, get some mitts/gloves too, again for comfort but also for protection, (just in case!).

What other gear do you suggest? Both for maintenance and riding?

A basic toolkit doesn't need to cost very much, but make sure it's got things you wll need and isn't too generic. Or if you got the basics anyway, (allen wrenchs etc), then I'd just get other tools as you go along. This is assuming you want to do your maintenance of course. If you do then remember that YouTube is you friends in all matters of fettling, with vids like THIS, THIS and THIS worth their weight in gold IMO.

Another essential fettling tip is learning how to MICKLE, it's not hard and is one of the simplest and IMO best fettling methods out there.

Oh yes, get yourself a TRACK PUMP, (cross posted with Dave 123). Essential for correct tyre pressure and makes life so much easier IME. I now use the one in my link, but I still have one of THESE that works perfectly after 5+ years, so almost any track pump will do, but I would avoid the ones that crop up at Aldi/Lidl TBH, I've heard bad reports about those.

Other than that just get out and ride :thumbsup:

RWright

Guru
spare inner tubes and tire levers with some way to carry them with you, jersey or saddle bag, a mini pump or CO2 inflation device , eye protection, multi tool, padded shorts. Then all the other stuff you mentioned plus hundreds of other things you will think of as you go along. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for the info guys. I can see that this forum is going to be worth its weight, based in the time it took for replies. :smile:

I will have to check through my garage, as did have some stuff from when I commuted when working at a different location a few years back. Think I have a mini pump and CO2 canisters. Maybe a multi tool and vaguely remember having ball headed Allen keys too. That's the problem with stacking your garage with stuff after moving, you never remember what you have or where it is!

I am guessing, from a priority point of view, the saddle bag, shorts and jersey are first purchases. Maybe track pump too at this point.

I did buy gloves, forgot about those sorry. Got some Specialized gel ones as suffer with my hands, amongst other areas. Medical condition that I am still awaiting a consultant appointment.

Toyed with a Hybrid instead of the Roadie, as thought my hands may be an issue, but bit the bullet and the variations in hand positioning mean its not an issue presently. So chuffed that's the case as I love this already!

lesley_x

Über Member
My 'essentials' would be:-
1) Clothing - padded shorts esp at the distances you're doing, padded gloves, a cycling jersey with pockets in the back. All these can be acquired quite cheaply through decathlon or similar. I also have purchased some relatively cheap stuff from ebay new... New £70 jersey for £20, can't beat it :smile: I've never needed a saddle bag. Carefully loaded cycling jersey pockets have been adequate.
2) Track pump - This has been an essential bit of kit for me. I check my tyres once a week with it. They lose pressure quicker than you'd imagine!
3) Mini tool

I don't think clipless is necessary at all personally. It's a personal preference. I don't like them and I don't think I ever will.

If you're short on cash a phone is a more than adequate tool for cycling IMO. I used to have a bike mount actually, was great but changed my phone and no longer fits :sad: £30 and I had access to all sorts of maps and tools on the go. Was completely secure and waterproof too! Great wee thing just wish I still had an iphone to use it.

Baggies Man

A decent bike lock. Just in case you need to pop into a shop while you're out, or you find a nice country pub and fancy a quick half.

Julia9054

Guru
I got my cycle computer for £7 from Aldi. It does the basics - tells me my speed and overall distance. It does other things too if I could be bothered to read the instructions but there are also lots of smartphone apps that can track your ride in more detail. I sometimes use Strava but mostly don't bother.
Put all your spare money into decent padded shorts. Normal dirt cheap sportswear can be worn for the rest for now and replaced as funds allow.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug in a big way. Your life will now start to be consumed by everything and anything to do with cycling.

I think one if the biggest things you will need is patience. When I think of all of the stuff I've bought over the last 3years there's no way I could of just gone out and got it all at once.

Maybe set aside a monthly budget for some goodies. The one thing I would hate to ride without is my Edge 800. You say you don't like to buy twice, I went through a few computers before I bought this. I never think of any others comps now.....

Have fun ! ! !

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Definitely bitten. After each ride, I have felt so much healthier than I have in a long while. Might be the placebo effect as I have enjoyed, but who cares if it works?

I see your point about buying everything overnight, but I know I am always like that. Luckily, funds won't allow anyway, hence trying to prioritise.

Been looking at this, as seems a good price. Was £25 off a few weeks back but didn't know. :sad:

Is this any good then guys?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...&productId=899371&categoryId=282253&langId=-1

Top Bottom