Awkard situation with bike that was stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

so before I got my new MTB bike I has a different one which ubfortuely got stolen back around April 9. The police closed the report a month later. Since they couldn’t identify the person due to angle of camera and hood. But awkwardly recently whilst cycling using my new bike. I saw a bike that looked exactly like my old stolen one except the brand was covered up both on frame and seat) the model number on fork matches). I saw it once before in w different area locked up but couldn’t get close up. This time I was about but unfortunately didn’t due to the owner coming back as soon as he saw me and looked at my camera he gave me a odd look and cycled off. (I decided not to follow because I didn’t want to put myself in danger.
The thing is I haven’t seen him since that day (I think he’s aware I’m onto him as I posted on Facebook and someone who works in security in that area messaged me saying they’ll keep an eye out.) (I emailed them with the pictures and other details they replied saying they’ll save and Keep an eye out but suggests I should report to police with the pictures I need to get serial number to defiently make sure and if I do would it still be possible to report it to police even though they shut the report around a month ago.

Also turns out the rider was a delivero rider and I have had problems with those riders in the past. This could explain why.

The rider isn’t always the thief well that’s what I’ve heard

Also doesn’t help my laptop where the pictures are has decided to stop working on me)

But what should I do?

The thing is I don’t want delivero to find out it was me that found out Incase this causes more issues for me due to incidents I’ve had in the past. (Is there any way of doing it so if that guy gets stopped they don’t know it was me)

It’s a pain their self employed otherwise I would of emailed the company as well

I had a bike nicked last year. It subsequently turned up in ‘social media posts’ in a FB group I was in. There was no doubt it was the same bike. I tried to set a trap, but the weasel went to ground. It’s irritating, but if the insurance pays out, it’s best forgotten.

Also turns out the rider was a delivero rider and I have had problems with those riders in the past. This could explain why.

The thing is I don’t want delivero to find out it was me that found out Incase this causes more issues for me due to incidents I’ve had in the past. (Is there any way of doing it so if that guy gets stopped they don’t know it was me)

It’s a pain their self employed otherwise I would of emailed the company as well

I cant even begin to work out all that Deliveroo stuff,...what do you mean by, if the guy gets stopped, and what would you put in an email, …..one of your employees rides the same type of bike that I used to have...……. up to now you have seen someone riding the same model of bike that you had stolen.
As for the guy giving you funny looks, if I found someone mooching around my bike with a camera, then I too would be giving funny looks,
you are going to have to be absolutely sure it is the same one as was stolen from you before you can do anything

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Was your old bike a rare model with only, say 10, in the country? If so you probably have grounds to pursue, if it's a common model then it's not unlikely someone else will be about riding the same model. You need to confirm serial number. This is why transponders work well, you can check it is yours just using your phone etc.

classic33

Leg End Member
Explain to the rider next time you're thinking of getting one of those(The bike he was riding), and ask him what it's like to ride.

You'll have a better chance of having a closer look, if they know you've no plans on making off on it. Compare it to what you're riding at present.

The Deliveroo part, you supply your own bike for the work. They only supply the padded backpack.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless you can demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that it's your actual bike there's nothing you can do.

When my Nova GSi was stolen in 1994 the police would have got a bit fed up if I'd called them every time someone in a grey Nova GSi looked at me in an odd way because I was staring at them.

Top Bottom