Axle length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A question that was asked of me last night and I didn't know the right answer was: Is it okay to put a 130mm hub in a frame designed for 135 and the opposite? This to be done without having the frame altered.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Simple answer is 'It depends'. If it's a steel frame this should be fine (in fact, some frames are 133mm so you can use either). Carbon or alloy you're risking cracking the frame. Don't know about Ti.
I'd just add another locknut on either side of the axle to take it to more like 135mm.

gbb

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:
Simple answer is 'It depends'. If it's a steel frame this should be fine (in fact, some frames are 133mm so you can use either). Carbon or alloy you're risking cracking the frame. Don't know about Ti.
I'd just add another locknut on either side of the axle to take it to more like 135mm.

Doesnt that lead to another problem tho....alignment of your derailleur and cassette would be incorrect.

Not saying i'm right, but surely theres going to be an issue there.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
gbb said:
Doesnt that lead to another problem tho....alignment of your derailleur and cassette would be incorrect.

Not saying i'm right, but surely theres going to be an issue there.

Well, yes. You'll need to tweak the indexing and/or the end stops of the rear mech.
'Sno biggy.

Why does your friend want to do this, out of interest?

OP
OP
bikepacker

bikepacker

Veteran
Thanks for the info.

He has been offered a couple of wheels at a good price and wanted to know if he could fit them on his tourer (Dawes Galaxy). I believe they are 105 hubs.

Axle length relative to drop-out spacing is rather critical, installing a couple of extra lock nuts will certainly increase the OLND (over lock nut dimension) but will compromise safety by reducing the axle stubs. You need a few mm within the drop-out lest the back wheel drop out. With solid/nutted axles there is usually enough to play with but on QR axles just adding spacers is asking for trouble.

Much more proffeshnal to cold-set the rear triangle to suit the new hub, its easy to do (depending on the strength of the frame) just remember to align the drop-outs and hanger properly afterwards.

Top Bottom