B&b. Hotels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tasker

Hello everyone, new member here and I will introduce me properly later.

Thing is I've been contemplating a short tour and though I'd love to just jump in and take a Hammock or tent and all the exciting stuff to go with it, after reading through all the posts here I have to reluctantly realise that to start with I'd be better off using B&B's, small hotels etc. so I can get some experience of long distance (for me) travelling.

My question is, what do you do with your bike? I mean, lock it up outside on the railings, take it into your room for safe keeping or what? Will they let you do this? Sorry but a terrible worrier here. Even though I'd make sure I had the money to get home I'd be devastated to wake up and find my trusty steed nicked. I mean, what's your experience been when you're in some town looking around for somewhere to stay but you have to be sure there's a safe place for the bike too?

Sorry if this sounds such a stupid question but it's beginning to bother me and as I said, I'm a bit of a worrier.

Cranky

Hello, Tasker, welcome to the forum.

I tend to book B&Bs in advance, but I always ask them if there's a safe place to keep the bike(s) overnight. There usually is: a garage, a rear yard with locked gate, sometimes even a room indoors in larger places. It's never been a major problem.

snorri

Legendary Member
When you make the booking state from the outset that you will require secure covered parking for your bike, if they cannot provide a place in which you would feel happy to leave your bike, then you go elsewhere. Do be cautious not to confirm the booking or part with any money until you have inspected the cycle storage area.
My bike has been in some very odd places overnight, but I have always been satisfied with the bike space offered, except for a hotel somewhere in Kent where the managemenent considered the rubbish skip compound a suitable overnight parking place for my bike:ohmy: cheeky sods.:sad:
When you come to tour in other European countries it is less of a problem IME.

Alves

In large hotels, I usually take my bike into the room. I don't ask, just wheel it up and into the room, nobody has ever stopped me.
In a small family run place, I ask and they usually offer me a shed, garage space or outbuilding.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't usually book ahead so I can't pre-arrange bike safety but I have never come across a B&B that weren't able or willing to hide the bike somewhere. I would include pubs in that category too. Most of my touring has been on the continent but also in England. If you are pre-booking then it's obviously worth mentioning it.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I agree...i've never stayed anywhere that won't find a nook for my bike! My best ever space was here in some 17th centry cloisters in Aix en Provence.

2hxapmq.jpg
[/IMG]

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..just wheel it into the room.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I never book ahead and I've never had a problem*- at B&Bs I've often been able to place my bike in garages, sheds etc.

*not a bike storage problem anyway.

Top Bottom