B0ll0cks- Not again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Dom, if this little girl had been walking a little faster, and hadn't stopped I am not sure I could have missed her.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PZnsw3bIzu0

I was probably a metre and a half from the parked cars. There can be situations where, no matter how much care you take, someone jumps/runs/skips out in front of you.

Should I be cycling slower her? I don't think so.

Of course there will always be situations where you you cannot reasonably have predicted a collision. We are all only human after all. Personally I would have been riding further away from the parked cars than you were, if that was not possible then I would have slowed down and covered my brakes. It is all about anticipating the unexpected, it certainly works for me, I have never even come close to hitting a pedestrian despite cycling fourteen miles a day along pedestrian filled streets.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
domtyler said:
I have never even come close to hitting a pedestrian despite cycling fourteen miles a day along pedestrian filled streets.
Shouldn't they be on the pavement? :smile::biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Only had a problem once. I missed her after a very loud, "OOOIIIIIII" she stepped back on the pavement. I was only about 4 meters from her aswell, she just stepped off the pavement, despite looking at me. I was doing about 18mph aswell.
Oh i had a kid trying to play chicken with me the other day. He crossed the road and kept walking at me. Moved out the way quickly when i sat up, took my hands off the bars nd folde them. Little bugger:evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also add into the fact that Rusholme is full of stupid students. Parking is terrible - folk just stop, reverse etc on the main road, so all that including students not looking where they are going, and also, vast numbers of them on bikes - nightmare !

NickM

Veteran
I once had a woman step into the bike lane about 20 yards in front of me, look directly at me, and then turn and stand right in my path, looking the other way.

I stopped quietly behind her and went...

BOO!!

She moved. I think her bowels may have done too :biggrin:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
NickM said:
I once had a woman step into the bike lane about 20 yards in front of me, look directly at me, and then turn and stand right in my path, looking the other way.

I stopped quietly behind her and went...

BOO!!

She moved. I think her bowels may have done too :sad:

xx(
BTW have you given up on soapbox Nick....am i destined to face the decivilised rabble alone ?:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Andy in Sig said:
A small machine gun perhaps?

2553711513_b102d67a00.jpg

Topping idea, what!

NickM

Veteran
Gary Askwith said:
:biggrin:
BTW have you given up on soapbox Nick....am i destined to face the decivilised rabble alone ?:biggrin:

I've just run out of enthusiasm for the same old disputes with the same old people, Gary... I suppose I might be back after a rest, but I don't think I have ever encountered in soapbox an opponent who stood much chance of denting any of my positions, so it achieves nothing beyond the passing of time, and I'd sooner be reading Wikipedia. Speaking of which, the Guayaki (or Aché) tribe of Paraguay appear interesting, even if most of the Wikipedia article on them does read like a rather dull essay on human rights...

"...leadership was informal and often context specific. There were no recognized chiefs, nor any other political-religious office..."

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
domtyler said:
Of course there will always be situations where you you cannot reasonably have predicted a collision....it is all about anticipating the unexpected, it certainly works for me, I have never even come close to hitting a pedestrian despite cycling fourteen miles a day along pedestrian filled streets.

I've been knocked off by a pedestrian on Charing Cross Road (the Oxford Street end, not the hectic end). Good visibility, no parked cars, I was a good distance from the kerb, when a woman who had previously been talking to someone turned around and walked straight into the road without looking, and whacked straight into the side of me, even though I tried to swerve around. She was moving pretty damn fast! Am sure I shouted out as well...

It amazes me how many people will cheerfully walk into a major road without looking, just because they can't hear anything.

Top Bottom