Baby signing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We've been teaching our little girl baby sign language so she can communicate with us before she learns to speak. She knows basic things like asking for milk, asking where something is and asking for more. She also knows a few animals. The latest sign she's mastered is bicycle! So this morning, she asked to come out into the garden and look at my bike while I was getting ready. She's really interested in it and was signing away while I showed her. She's very clever, I think Father Christmas might be bringing something special in a few months. :wub:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Awwww, the marvel of the developing brain.

For a second there I thought it was something weird. You know, like when you have to have a plaster cast and get everyone to sign it........

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The main one I remember my son knowing was biscuit.... he had glue ear which delayed his speech so we learnt signing as an alternative to picking him up and him pointing and grunting ... it was sort of like radar but not very defined!!

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
She's so adorable. When she came home from the park I had just got back from work and she got all excited and started signing. Apparently after I left this morning she was asking where the bike had gone*. And she got a bit upset at tea time so I had to take her out to the shed so she could look at the bikes. That cheered her up. :smile:

*The bike, you'll notice. Not Daddy. :angry:

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
The main one I remember my son knowing was biscuit.... he had glue ear which delayed his speech so we learnt signing as an alternative to picking him up and him pointing and grunting ... it was sort of like radar but not very defined!!
It's impressive how much they pick up, isn't it? I was skeptical, thinking she'd already be talking before she learned enough signing for it to be useful, but she's really taken to it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's impressive how much they pick up, isn't it? I was skeptical, thinking she'd already be talking before she learned enough signing for it to be useful, but she's really taken to it.
He could only say 3 words by the time he was 22 months, so it was very useful for communication!

Drago

Legendary Member
Winjim, is your little girl deaf, or are you deaf, or are you just teaching her sign as a clever and useful tool?

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I wonder if teaching her sign language takes away the need to communicate verbally and may delay her speech?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My god daughter's daughter signs and she is brilliant, she is nearly 3 and quite chatty but really took to signing. Neither my god daughter or her husband are deaf. I used to sign a bit at school but have forgotten most of it now.

Julia9054

Guru
My son learned to speak ridiculously early but i think it was because he was fascinated by sounds. You could point to objects and he could name them and he would parrot back words all day long. It still took him the normal length of time to realise that the words could be used to communicate and ask for things he wanted. It was very strange - i have never known another baby learn to speak like this

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Winjim, is your little girl deaf, or are you deaf, or are you just teaching her sign as a clever and useful tool?
I didn't want to ask for fear of sounding an ignoramus, glad you did first ^_^
Also @winjim how did you learn sign language? And it the one you taught your daughter the same signs that the hearing impeded use?

Top Bottom