Back again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
First full commute today.

Kept jumping in the car in the run up to Xmas ;)
January was a no go ‘cos of the chest infection. :sad:

I’ve had the odd run round in February such as commuting to a training course (just over 1/2 my full route) and a relatively hilly, 22mile, Saturday morning ride. Nowhere near enough regularity.

I’ve had plenty of reasons (excuses:sad:) to jump in the cage - rain, freezing temperatures, gale force winds etc. (you know, the stuff a lot of you rode thro!)

Incentive, figured I’ll give myself some incentive. I ordered a new short sleeve GILL cycle top from Wiggle (57% off!). It looked OK yesterday, till I turned sideways! I’ve put on a couple of pounds – it’s all on my gut, and I think it brought friends.:sad:

Anyway, it did give me incentive. I looked at the forecast yesterday. “If I’m going to do it this week, it’s got to be Thursday”. No rain, temps above zero, winds aren’t gale force.:smile:

So this a.m. I got on the bike and headed off. (“hmm.. a bit windy?”)

OK not gale force, but cycling into a headwind all the time. Nice thing is I was in good spirits and even managed to have a chat with another cyclist towards the end of my route (in the bus lane, on the approach to the Wicker)

So I’ve done my 14 miles, small of my backs aching, my calves feel like rock and my thighs feel like jelly, just hope the wind doesn’t change direction before tonight!
:biggrin::biggrin:

I’m NOT taking this long out again!!

He he - know exactly how you feel. I did my first ride of the year on Tuesday, same distance as you. Legs felt like logs the following day as it was a [retty strong headwind the whole way home. Will be cycling in again tomorrow and have promised to get back in the habit

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done - no excuses - keep at it, it will reduce the spare tyre in no time... If it makes you feel better, it was a stready wind today - quite hard work....I knew it wasn't going to be easy when I was peddaling hard going down hill....

Good man! 14 miles is a fair length (I have a puny 5:blush:)

Keep it up and you'll soon wonder how you ever did anything else!;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Well done.

It's amazing how quickly you 'deteriorate' when you're off the bike for a while, and you always pay for it when you get back on again !

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Good man! 14 miles is a fair length (I have a puny 5:blush:)

I was wishing my 10 miles was just a puny 5 this morning as I battled into a constant, very strong headwind all the way. It was really starting to hurt my legs by the time I got to work ;)

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
fossyant said:
Well done - no excuses - keep at it, it will reduce the spare tyre in no time.......

So long as I don't think "increased exercise is a valid excuse for a larger plate"?:evil:

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Nice gentle ride back tonight, chatted with the same guy as this morning. quick hello to another guy near Meadowhall.

Complimented another guy about how nice his bike looked. (OK it was big, red with 4 wheels...) pointed out it must be a bike 'cos he'd passed the ASL and was sat on a box for cyclists

"What box?"

"The bright red bit of road with a massive white cycle painted on it?"..

Maz

Guru
well done gambatte! always nice to chat with other cyclists...I dont often get that opportunity, only a quick hello as i overtake.
Have they finished the roadworks on the wicker yet?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz said:
well done gambatte! always nice to chat with other cyclists...I dont often get that opportunity, only a quick hello as i overtake.

Decided as it was the first day I'd take it steady. Single file when busy, doubled up when traffic died down. Bonus to my way of thinking - 2 cyclists are easier to spot than 1?

Maz said:
Have they finished the roadworks on the wicker yet?

Near enough (I think) I tend to shoot off towards Hillsborough as I get there. Then again its the IRR thats just about finished, the Wickers still up for loads of redevelopement and some pedestrianisation I heard.

Bonj probably has more insight on this one.

Top Bottom