Back from darkest Lancashire.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I have been away doing a little bit of painting for the in laws.Nothing special,just two coats of magnolia emulsion over the utility room.It was the outhouse and coalhouse many many years ago.But put in a washing machine a fridge and a tumble dryer.Lo and behold estate agents call it a UTILITY ROOM.
Anyway that is not the important post,this is.Our neighbour is having a roof put on.Mrs Postman has been away with her mates in Wales for a couple of days.She called for me and brought us both back.What a surprise when we got in the street.
we had no idea,well there is a little bit of debris in the garden.The windows are black with soot dust or both.Flashing is not tapped down around the chimney pot.It was before.There is one tile out of line.Not bad.there is one item in the house broken from the vibrations,a gift from New York it fell off the shelf,glass everywhere.
Words not angry ones will be spoken tomorrow.The house WILL be washed clean when they finish and flashing will be in place correctly also when finished.
But i am more annoyed that our neighbour did not tell us.Not even a note through the door.Not going to cause a fuss,but heck we kept her informed during our big job.

alicat

Legendary Member
That'll learn you not to go the wrong side of the Pennines. :blush:

Seriously, that sounds a right pain. Go give them what for.

Katherine

Guru
Oh dear! It's not difficult to show a bit of common courtesy. I hope your neighbours will act responsibly when you talk to them.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Maybe they thought 'We had better not tell that miserable old bugger next door, he's sure to try and get the job stopped'! :tongue:

When we did an extension and loft conversion a couple of years ago I made sure to warn all the neighbours on our quiet cul-de-sac by sending out a newsletter type note to each house just to apologise in advance for any noise and dust that occurred and warning everyone that the road might be temporarily blocked occasionally during deliveries, but the contractors would always do their best to allow people past if possible. I suggested it would be wise not to leave for work at the last minute, just in case.

It is all about consideration and communication and it looks like your neighbours have shown neither! I do have a neighbour that we don't get on with due to various incidents that have occurred over the years. We don't argue any more, I just ignore them and pretend they are not there, it avoids any of the stress of being angry at them. When the building work began they simply got a note explaining the road might be blocked occasionally for short periods and we would do our best to avoid any inconvenience. They did their best to screw things up by putting in complaints to the planning office to suggest we were building outside our planning consent and they parked as inconsiderately as possible, on the road, despite having a double width drive that they always used before the work began, Nobbers! See, you've set me off now.....

Anyway, just be prepared that you might not get satisfaction out of this and may need to suck up your misfortune if you live next to somebody as selfish, twisted and spiteful as my problem neighbours :cursing:

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
What a set of fantastic blokes.Just been out to have a word.They came round to see if they could put a ladder in our garden to finish off an end of some work.No problems,so i asked about cleaning,all sorted they clean up after finishing work.then i mentioned the gift broken again no probs,out came a wad of 20's too much just the cost.£10.All of us are happy.Us more so,it appears there was a rotten Purling up in the roof.they worked all day saturday and sunday and there was noise and dust.

perplexed

Guru
Glad you got home to civilised territory safely...

PhYorkshire.png

Top Bottom