Back from France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

Well, I'm back, actually got back yesterday from my ten day camping tour from Roscoff to Paris to see the end of the TDF.

An excellent time was had, the French roads really are superb, miles upon miles of smooth well maintained tarmac. The first few days were very wet, but it got drier towards the end of the week. What little traffic there was, was extremely bike-friendly.

By doing two 80-mile days, I got to Paris on Friday morning, a day ahead of schedule. I had three days in Paris, camping in Bois de Boulogne and blasting around on the bike everywhere, around the Arc de Triomphe no problem, up and down the Champs Elysees, a real buzz and at no point did I feel vulnerable, I didn't bother with my helmet at all. It's definitely the best way to see the city.

The TDF final was a good atmosphere, got there before 10 in the morning to secure my spot and didn't dare budge all day. How they manage to go up and down those cobbles so fast without their teeth falling out I don't know!

I caught the TGV back from Paris to Morlaix on Monday which was a breeze. Getting the bike on the train couldn't have been simpler, tho you do have to make a reservation before hand. Previous experience of bikes on trains having been limited to the goods compartment of the HST in the UK, I was a little concerned not being able to find the goods compartment on the TGV, there isn't one, the coach/compartment behind the engine has a 2nd class section, just wheel your bike on, fold up a few seats and thats that, luxury! You could probably get a couple of bikes in the space, definitely not a tandem tho and I'm not sure of there was a similar space at the other end of the train or not.

The bike performed faultlessly, my concern about the fragility of the wheels, given others experiences of them, was unfounded, and I only got one flat, six miles from Roscoff on the return leg after 500 miles, must have been a pinch-puncture somehow.

Thanks to all those who gave advice and answered my many questions, just need to start thinking about the next tour!

Chris

DSCF3626.jpg

DSCF3690.jpg

DSCF3807.jpg

DSCF3827.jpg

DSCF3841.jpg

tbtb

Enjoyed reading the blog, esp the bit towards the end where you cycle with the pro peleton, or a bit of it anyway!

Top Bottom