Back from Greece. Wow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Hi guys

I've just come back from a cycling tour in Greece. I had a great time! I was initially a bit worried about cycling there, and the lack of cyclist tourers I saw might mean that the country hasn't yet made it onto the list of favourite cycling destinations for a lot of people. But I found the country to be fantastic for bicycle touring, although probably not a good place for someone new to cycling (it's very mountainous and hot, of course). The people were fantastic, the scenery was stunning and I found the drivers to be much more considerate and respectful to cyclists than I imagined they'd be. The only thing I didn't like was the quality of the roads - some of them were really awful, even to the point of being dangerous. But apart from that, a big thumbs up!
If anyone's interested I wrote a blog. I put quite a lot of details in it about road conditions, gradients and that sort of thing: I hoped that such information might help anyone else who's considering cycling there. The blog is here. Go easy on me please, it's my first attempt at blogging!

I enjoyed your blog. Lots of friendly people on your travels which is nice. I think it would be too hot for me, you can see the heat haze in a lot of your piccies. Bet you're glad the wheel got trashed on the way back, rather than on the way out though, if you can be glad of a wheel being trashed that is.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Thanks for the thumbs up! Yeah, the heat was a problem - although I did get used to it after a few days. But, I think next year I'm going somewhere cooler. I've had four years now cycling in Med countries and I think I'd like a cooler destination now. Thinking of Norway - but I'll need a budget for that! You're right about the wheel. I was sure relieved to see the bike in one piece when I arrived in Thessaloniki. The irony is though that I packed it in a bag on the way back and stuck to the EasyJet regulations (as much as possible). In the past, I used to wheel my bike 'naked' onto the plane. This is the first incident I've had!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nice blog. Great pics of Delphi. I fell of a ruin there in the early 70's and broke my leg.

Cooler? Try Northern Spain. Would have thought something like one of the Caminos to Santiago would be right up your street.

OP
OP
Jimmy Doug

Jimmy Doug

Thanks Greg. You're absolutely right that northern Spain is up my street! I've done some cycling there already. Galicia is one of my favourite places. Loved it! But I haven't done the Caminos de Santiago yet. It's on my list of things to do. I had the opportunity a few years ago, and unfortunately I had to let it pass. I've regretted it ever since.

Top Bottom