Back hurting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok Sam you have had some good tips so far but I am taking it that your bike is set up right? which by your last post it is. I need to ask is the bike the right size for you! how to find out is by standing over the top tube when there how much room do you have it is ment to be around 1 / 1.1/2" if that is right then put your heal on the peddal your leg should be strate with no movemant of the hips.

Probably not the most helpful post I'll ever write, but time is a great healer.

Your back and core is made up of muscles which will develop memory and therefore hurt less once they are used to the position. Doing core exercises (plank, crunch etc) will help, but nothing beats time on the road.

This assumes you've followed advice above re position.

It is not that cheadle it is not the core muscles that are the problem it is the bike set up/frame size. But you are right in the over way if the bike was the right size and they was going to be training for a long ride... I would say yes you do need to be getting your body in shape for it Ie you core muscles is a very good thing (not like me Helen)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Is your saddle level?
The top tube might be what you know as cross bar.
Its the bar at the top of the bike that goes from the saddle to the handlebars, to put it simple.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
No, they will reach the floor. Theres no if, they will reach the floor. Its what gap there is between the top tube and your cock, basicly.
This only works if your top tube is level, on compact frames where the top tubes slope it wont really give a good sign.

Is your seat level? Check if it is. I have been told many times to get mine level because it will cause back problems. And even had a mate make me level the seat out, or even him do it.

Brainstorm

All I can say is keep experimenting with your bike setup. Following a car accident 10 years ago I have had all kinds of problems. I honestly thought I would never be able to ride longer rides. After a lot of trying I have finally found a setup that works for me. I still get some discomfort after a longer ride, but nothing compared to before. I ended up with my bars a bit higher than before.

If you really want to get serious about it then contact someone professional to fit your bike for you. If you are in the UK then rock and road in southampton do fitting for £150, it takes 3 to 4 hours.

e-rider

crappy member
If your back hurts after just 2 miles then I'd see a doctor rather than adjusting the bike!

Setting up the bike correctly is very important but if you are having trouble after 2 miles then you have back trouble, not bike trouble.

Riding a poorly adjusted/fitting bike will cause aches and pains usually after 25+ miles.

I am in agony after riding a conventional bike for less than a couple of miles. This is despite following all the 'rules' about set-up. One of my problems is pain in my hands: I know that this is carpal tunnel syndrome, but instead of seeing my GP for this, and the other problems, I thought laterally. I bought a recumbent and can now ride for hours without any pain, or even discomfort. I have no neck pain, no shoulder pain, no back pain, no pain in the hands, and no pain in the perineum. Normal bikes have riding positions that can cause a whole raft of problems, and recumbents solve them for me. I can now cycle as I used to 30 years ago, so please do not rule out 'bents if you want to remain riding.:biggrin:

Kmarshall

i think it would really help is you stretch your legs and arms lift your shoulder.. moving your arms side to side will help you mend you back..
gnc.gif

avoid slouching or having your waist or shoulder to the right or left the whole time coz it might lead to scoliosis..

Top Bottom