Back In The Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MisterMeg

MisterMeg

Arch: I'm very sorry! :ohmy:

Alecstilleyedye: My signiture comes from something I heard cycling past an amateur cricket club once (a long time ago, obviously). It stuck with me for some reason, and as I was on my bike at the time, it seemed appropriate to use as my signature, and my picture.
I looked Half Man Half Biscuit up and I'm guessing that's where the bloke who shouted it got it from.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Surely we have someone who lives near Penicuik that could give MisterMegs bike a once over for him to say whether it's viable to do up, or even help him do it up.
I mean, even with all the squabbling, we really, REALLY are nice people.

Arch

Married to Night Train
MisterMeg said:
Arch: I'm very sorry! :ohmy:

No worries! Back in the days of the Cycling Plus forum, (long story...) we sometimes had "Oh! Arch is a girl!" moments - sometimes from people who'd been there for years!

I like to think it shows a certain gender neutrality in my posting style.

OP
OP
MisterMeg

MisterMeg

Elmer Fudd said:
Surely we have someone who lives near Penicuik that could give MisterMegs bike a once over for him to say whether it's viable to do up, or even help him do it up.
I mean, even with all the squabbling, we really, REALLY are nice people.
That's a very kind idea. I'm going to have a look at new tyres and things this weekend and I might have a look at some bikes as well, just to see how things have "moved on" so to speak.

Can anybody recommend some good websites that sell bikes?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
MisterMeg said:
Blimey, thanks everyone! I think my spanner skills aren't what they might be so I will see what the local bike shops can do. Any advice in what to look for in a good bike shop these days?

I can recommend the The Bicycle Works in Argyle Place, if you can get it into Edinburgh. Service from £28.00, they will take a look and tell you if it is worth doing in the first place for nothing.

OP
OP
MisterMeg

MisterMeg

We had a family party last night and my daughter in law's sister's husband (or Stuart for short), who is a keen cyclist, reckoned that I'd be better off getting something new unless I wanted to do the old bike up as a project.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money just in case I find that cycling is not for me after all. Can I get something for about £300? Stuart said that he wouldn't buy anything for less than £800, but apparently he is the type that won't pay £5 if he can pay £10, if you see what I mean.

Can anybody recommend me a bike around that price? What should I look for in terms of specification?

I like the look of Dawes Comp from Evans (£299) and the Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords (£259). Will either of these bikes be suitable for riding in the Pentland Hills, assuming I am fit enough, of course.

Ask Stuart to buy you one 'Fred'!

After all - that's the least he could do. Pay him back at say, 5p a km..! If you get to 1000km, you'll be ok for the next 10,000 and more. Tell him you want something about the £500 mark and, thanks to Stuartonomics... Hey Presto! A nice new Planet X full carbon Bling-O-Matic 21st Century cycle.
Go for it MisterM...and I'm guessing you have already responded to the 'How Old Are You?' thread in the Café?! :blush:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
MisterMeg said:
We had a family party last night and my daughter in law's sister's husband (or Stuart for short), who is a keen cyclist, reckoned that I'd be better off getting something new unless I wanted to do the old bike up as a project.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money just in case I find that cycling is not for me after all. Can I get something for about £300? Stuart said that he wouldn't buy anything for less than £800, but apparently he is the type that won't pay £5 if he can pay £10, if you see what I mean.

Can anybody recommend me a bike around that price? What should I look for in terms of specification?

I like the look of Dawes Comp from Evans (£299) and the Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords (£259). Will either of these bikes be suitable for riding in the Pentland Hills, assuming I am fit enough, of course.

of the two of those i'd go for the carrera (ask stuart to look over it once you've got it and get halfords to sort out anything that's wrong). not only is it cheaper (leaving some of your budget for helmet, padded shorts etc) but is also comes with with a compact chainset ie some low ratio gears that will be essential if you are looking to go riding in the pentlands, or even up arthur's seat if you're brave.

Top Bottom