Back issues since tweaking position...advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

So, after tweaking my saddle front/back position and height I think I am not far off, and my quad fatigue has abated somewhat, if not completely (after all it's supposed to be hard work right)

However, since moving my saddle back and up (based on general advice ref the quad fatigue post I made https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-quads-are-knackered-too-quickly.276807/) I am now noticing some lower back stiffness and a little bit of general and mild discomfort. Not so much when I'm riding but afterwards.
Last night I just couldn't get comfortable as I had a bit of a gnawing almost 'toothache' like throbbing in my lower right back.
A bit of deep heat helped but I'm concerned it's something to do with my riding position?
Of course it could just be that I have jolted it or it could be just the bumpy pot hole infested country lanes I frequent that has caused it?

I don't want to lower my saddle down too much again and go back to a poor position for my quads or be too close to the bars and cause arm fatigue and/or hand numbness but what else can I do?

Help/advice appreciated?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would suggest to Stretch post ride, in particular hamstrings. Worth doing calves and quads at the same time.
You will find it is a delicate balance and seemingly minor adjustments can have some significant impact on how you feel, especially after a ride and in the day/s after. I think this is also amplified when you are new to cycling. I am returning after over 1 year off and it has reminded me how tricky it can be to get comfort and fit correct.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
And glutes and hip flexors…and trunk/lower back
If it’s niggly on one side it might suggest you’re not sat straight on the saddle, are one side dominant or one side is weaker. Or there’s an issue with the size of bike.
You could pay for a private physio assessment if it continues :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Could get yourself a foam roller and a tennis ball and work on those knots, your quads would probably benefit too :okay:
Have you posted a picture / video of you on the bike?

CXRAndy

Guru
Stretching, core exercises till you adjust.

OR

Move seat forward a bit, this will lift you up a tad. If comfortable with all body parts, leave alone. As you become fitter on the bike slowly adjust back.

Personally I go for, if its comfortable from the get go, its just about right. Only during huge rides if I begin to suffer will I make micro adjustments.

I did this once on a 8 hour ride where I began to get slight upper knee ache. Saddle adjusted 5mm higher pain went away till ride completed

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
my quad fatigue has abated somewhat, if not completely (after all it's supposed to be hard work right)

Cycling is not supposed to be hard work at all. Mile for mile, it's easier than walking. If you're really knckering youself, you're doing it wrong.
All I get after riding for hours is a bit of general tiredness, nothing is burning or giving me actual pain.
My bike fittings across different bikes aren't all identical either, and therefore can't all be perfect, and in reality probably none of them are absolutely optimal. They are just close enough to get away with.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
assuming you have moved your saddle back and up from what i read you have effectively increased the reach and drop to the handlebar so you may need to flip and or a shorter stem .
When i moved my saddle back to unweight my arms i ended up with a shorter stem .

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, just got back from a 12 mile lunchtime ride, after first moving my seat forward a little (it was almost fully back). I left the seat height as it was for now as it seems correct based on all advice given.
No back pain but notable shoulder stiffness/burn toward the end of the ride.
I think my set height is OK but the stem is not adjustable (I am told) so I may have to look at a new, adjustable stem and get the LBS to swap it over to give me more flexibility on the bar height.
I'm looking at getting a road bike but I'm also seriously considering flat bars instead of drops? Perhaps I'm not flexible enough for drops if I'm struggling like this with flats?!!!
BTW, the bike is an 18" frame, men's CB 'Cape Wrath' circa 2002 with Deore gears etc. The stem (Cane Creek) does not seem to have any adjustment or it it does it's fully up. I've never adjusted it from new.
I may ask the LBS to take a look though in case I'm missing something but i did read these were not adjustable on this bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
How's your core strength and general flexibility? Perhaps you just need to get more (bike) fit?

Do you wear and helmet and / or glasses? Maybe you're craning your neck or doing something odd?

Post a picture of the bike set up for you and the stem specifically

Try a week or two of stretching and see how you feel?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
General approach with changes to bike fit.

1. Change one thing at a time
2. Do it in small increments
3. Give it a few rides before further changes if necessary.

Sounds like you’ve made too many and too big changes, in a short period, to your bike setup. Hence your body is struggling to keep up. Your body may catch up or you may need to think about a setup between the new and old whilst your body adapts.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

How's your core strength and general flexibility? Perhaps you just need to get more (bike) fit?
Good I think although it wouldn't hurt to improve it.
Do you wear and helmet and / or glasses? Maybe you're craning your neck or doing something odd?
I wear sunglasses if required and a helmet with a peak.
Post a picture of the bike set up for you and the stem specifically
I'll try when I can.
Try a week or two of stretching and see how you feel?

CXRAndy

Guru
The stem (Cane Creek) does not seem to have any adjustment or it it does it's fully up

Most stems can be flipped over, this will lift the handlebars due to the small angle in the design of the stem.

Unless it was already flipped!

Top Bottom