Back on low carb..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This regime has been immensely beneficial to me in the past; most obviously for weight loss amongst other advantages.

I've been trying to limit my carb intake over the past week or so; possible largely thanks to the clocks changing, weathing improving and managing some more exercise meaning it's easier to rein in the constant drive to binge on rubbish to fill that enormous yawing dopamine-shaped void in my head.

I've not gone full-keto but have cut out a lot of high-GI carbs and am aiming to consume less than 50g of carbohydrate per day. Stuff I've noticed so far:

- I sleep and wake earlier as I'm not snacking post-dinner so much nor a sugar-fuelled zombie late into the night as a result.
- My quality of sleep seems better
- My mood has generally been a lot better
- Hunger is a lot easier to control, and no longer seems like a craving-led, life-or-death issue
- While hardly full of energy as some claim, energy levels seem more constant throughout the day without the periods of exhaustion associated with blood sugar crashes
- Food tastes a lot better and is generally more enjoyable now its consumption's not overshadowed by the carb hit

Of course this approach isn't without it's down sides:

- Eating out / convenience food is basically off the menu as pretty much everything contains significant amounts of refined carbs
- Shopping is more of a pain as most dry / non-perishable goods are carb-based; meaning more trips to the shops
- Carbs tend to be cheaper than other food, so cutting the out potentially means an increase in food expenditure..

In the past I've dilligently tracked my weight loss, however don't want to jinx it this time and tbh just want to ease myself back into it a more healthy diet before looking at trying to push towards losing some mass..

Anyone else doing similar?

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This regime has been immensely beneficial to me in the past; most obviously for weight loss amongst other advantages.

I've been trying to limit my carb intake over the past week or so; possible largely thanks to the clocks changing, weathing improving and managing some more exercise; meaning it's easier to rein in the constant drive to binge on rubbish to fill that enormous yawing dopamine-shaped void in my head.

I've not gone full-keto but have cut out a lot of high-GI carbs and am aiming to consume less than 50g of carbohydrate per day. Stuff I've noticed so far:

- I sleep and wake earlier as I'm not snacking post-dinner so much nor a sugar-fuelled zombie late into the night as a result.
- My quality of sleep seems better
- My mood has generally been a lot better
- Hunger is a lot easier to control, and no longer seems like a craving-led, life-or-death issue
- While hardly full of energy as some claim, energy levels seem more constant throughout the day without the period of exhaustions associated with blood sugar crashes
- Food tastes a lot better and is generally more enjoyable now its consumption's not overshadowed by the carb hit

Of course this approach isn't without it's down sides:

- Eating out / convenience food is basically off the menu as pretty much everything contains significant amounts of refined carbs
- Shopping is more of a pain as most dry / non-perishable goods are carb-based; meaning more trips to the shops
- Carbs tend to be cheaper than other food, so cutting the out potentially means an increase in food expenditure..

In the past I've dilligently tracked my weight loss, however don't want to jinx it this time and tbh just want to ease myself back into it a more healthy diet before looking at trying to push towards weight loss..

Anyone else doing similar?

Yes!

Illness last year (kidney) stopped a lot of my normal exercise activities.

I put on over a stone!

On Jan 1 this year I cut out potatoes, bread, crisps, biscuits and most chocolate (apart from a once a week 85% cocoa treat).

Have lost 14.6 pounds so about one pound per week.

I have my annual GP check in May (plus pneumonia jab - didn’t know they were a thing) so I am hoping not to get a rollicking re BMI & cholesterol level.

Good luck with your own efforts. 👌

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Yes!

Illness last year (kidney) stopped a lot of my normal exercise activities.

I put on over a stone!

On Jan 1 this year I cut out potatoes, bread, crisps, biscuits and most chocolate (apart from a once a week 85% cocoa treat).

Have lost 14.6 pounds so about one pound per week.

I have my annual GP check in May (plus pneumonia jab - didn’t know they were a thing) so I am hoping not to get a rollicking re BMI & cholesterol level.

Good luck with your own efforts. 👌

Thanks and great work - glad to hear it's working for you :becool:

While I appreciate many are skeptical of low carb / keto as just another fad, I think it goes a lot deeper than this and there's a massive body of evidence to suggest that many of the west's ills are due to excessive carb intake; especially highly-refined stuff.

That's really interesting that you mention 1lb lost per week, as I was managing about the same during my periods of sustained low-carb for weight loss.

I'd be interested to hear how your GP visit goes if you don't mind sharing - I know a lot of diabetics have had success with low-carb; would be interesting to know how it affects cholesterol as low-carb typically means high fat..

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I've been doing keto since Jan 22nd. I've lost 20lbs so far. Only another 6lbs to go

Wow - great work; that's a proper win and must feel amazing :biggrin:

The old dear's just cooked ups a great roast - chicken, roasted veg (carrot, onion, garlic) and sprouts - she forgot the broccoli..

Normally I'd be looking for the carbs but on this occasion really, really enjoyed it for what it was :smile: I might have just ruined it all with a biscuit; mind..

Top Bottom