Back on the bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeffd34

Just started cycling again after a 30 year layoff. I'm currently riding a Motobecane Fantom 29er mostly on gravel/dirt trails along a canal. I've ridden about 100 miles a week over the past two weeks. My legs have been screaming at me for the past two days. Am I pushing too hard, too soon? Should I be doing less miles and building up for longer rides. I've been averaging about 12.2 mph per ride and doing about 27 miles a day in just over 2 hours.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done on getting back on the bike. If your legs hurt it's because you're not used to exercise.
Just do what your body tells you. If you're in pain then you're doing too much. But as the old saying goes. No pain no gain.
Keep cycling, don't over do it and have fun. If you keep it up you will only get stronger.

D

Deleted member 26715

If it's actual pain & not just aching then I suspect you're pushing a bit too hard, 12.2mph average along side the canal & trails is a good speed, I rarely get above 10mph average, maybe ease it back a little for a week & see if that makes a difference.

Sharky

Guru
Just establish a regime that you can keep to for the next 30 years. Too much too soon and your body will reject and you will be back to square one.
Winter months will be the real test.

Good luck and keep cycling

nickAKA

Über Member
Build up the distances, take rest days. Pub bore statement - rest days are as important as training days. I'm sure it will become apparent given time that you can actually get faster simply by taking a day off and letting your legs recover. It's hard when you're in the (metaphorical) first flush of love with the bike or excercise and the sun is shining, but make yourself do it.
Once you're better conditioned to pedalling a gentle recovery ride instead is always an option if you've got the itch on a rest day.

HeebyGeeby

Regular
I'm probably a similar age and only came back to cycling a few months ago.
I'd have struggled to do 100 miles a week when I started without feeling some pain. In fact I'd have struggled to do 100 miles in a week.
Maybe look at doing some stretching and mobility exercises on your rest days? Otherwise you run the risk of possible injury which would set you back.
You're putting pressure on your spine, neck, knees, hips, wrists that they possibly haven't seen in 30 years.
I got a personal trainer to put together a stretching program for me.

OP
OP
J

Jeffd34

Thanks so much for the replies! I've trimmed my efforts back somewhat so I can recover and not be as sore. I've been doing hour long rides that are about 12 miles at a fairly easy pace. I plan on having two rest days and one long ride per week. From what I've read this should help. Definitely not as sore the past couple of days.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As above, remember that the improvement happens during the rest time so be sure to rest adequately and eat quality proteins, fats and carbs. Eggs are a great food for athletic muscles.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you want to make this a long term pastime, it might help to count the smiles not the miles.

Agree completely. Aiming to do a set amount of miles and constantly clock-watching the average speed doesn't sound much fun to me. I don't ever average more than 11mph on the sort of rides being described, and my legs aren't killing me afterwards. I just chill out and ride at an easy pace rather than busting a gut for more speed.
Non-competitive leisure cycling is supposed to be a casual activity, done as and when the mood takes you. What the OP is describing sounds more like some sort of training regime involving pushing too hard, and will likely get abandoned due to injury or disillusionment if they don't tone it down and concentrate on getting some fresh air and enjoying the scenery instead. You don't have to go mad in order to get any physical benefit from riding. A regular few miles ridden in an easy manner still gives you a lot more than not being active at all.
Do some regular walking too, not just cycling exclusively. Variety in physical activity is better than just doing one thing only.

Last edited:
As above, remember that the improvement happens during the rest time so be sure to rest adequately and eat quality proteins, fats and carbs. Eggs are a great food for athletic muscles.
Yes exactly.
Maybe I'm perverse but i actually like having that ache or whatever in my legs for a day or two after a tough ride. I see it as my muscles recovering/rebuilding/getting stronger. I lay off a bit, try to eat well, and know that in a couple of days i will have a renewed enthusiasm for the ride. Of course all too large a slice of the population with their slobby lifestyles are so out of tune with their bodies that they never get either the "pain" or pleasure.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Maybe I'm perverse but i actually like having that ache or whatever in my legs for a day or two after a tough ride. I see it as my muscles recovering/rebuilding/getting stronger. I lay off a bit, try to eat well, and know that in a couple of days i will have a renewed enthusiasm for the ride.

I'm sure all of us experience that feeling that our legs have worked hard, especially when you find yourself riding for miles into a headwind. You don't even need to be cycling either; a long day performing a physically demanding job can have a similar effect.
Most of us know that it's sensible to take it easy for the next day or two after such exertion, in order to recover from it. If I've had a hard ride, the following day I'll never exceed single digit miles and won't average much over 10mph either. I might even just walk a few miles instead of riding at all, to vary the type of activity. However I get the impression the OP is doing excessively hard rides on consecutive days with no recovery time at all - which is an excellent way to injure yourself and be put out of action for far more than just a day or two.

Top Bottom