Back on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazmercer

Hi

I've just bought a new bike (Apollo FS26S from halfords, don't knock me for it, it's just for getting to work and back at the minute).

I'm cycling 6 miles each way at the minute and managing to do it in about 40 minutes. I'm 38 and a fair bit overweight.

Not rode a bike for about 12 years and in that time I became a fat lazy slob eating too much junk.

I had forgotten just how enjoyable a bike ride could be (apart from the pain which will lessen as I cycle more).

Hopefully I'll be knocking out some more miles soon.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi to everyone and I look forward to enjoying the forum

Thanks
Gary

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Welcome to the forum and well done for getting back on a bike. There are a lot of people here who were/are in the same position as you so you are in good company and will receive some good support. Keep on cycling, it will be tough for a while but it will get easier and watch the weight drop off and your fitness levels rise.

If you want some inspiration, check out this post from fellow forumite gb155

:welcome:
I'm one of the ones who was in the same boat as you a year or so ago. Still am, to a certain extent. Only difference is I was 39 when I started up.

The important thing is you're enjoying it: the weight loss and fitness will come in time. I found the best approach was little and often in the early days.

Agree with ian .. gbb155 has a remarkable story.

gazmercer said:
Hi

I've just bought a new bike (Apollo FS26S from halfords, don't knock me for it, it's just for getting to work and back at the minute).

snap! had my apollo transition for 6 years commuting and it's been brilliant.

gazmercer said:
I'm cycling 6 miles each way at the minute and managing to do it in about 40 minutes. I'm 38 and a fair bit overweight.

snap again! 6 miles each way commute, i'm 42 and a tad overweight as well.
but not as much as i used to be before i started riding!

Globalti

Legendary Member
A word of advice: cut out the beer and eat carefully. I find cleaning and flossing my teeth after my evening meal helps me to avoid the temptation to snack later in the evening!

Remember also that the rest in between rides is as important as the exercise. If you overdo the riding you'll go nowhere.

OP
OP
gazmercer

gazmercer

Rigid Raider said:
A word of advice: cut out the beer and eat carefully. I find cleaning and flossing my teeth after my evening meal helps me to avoid the temptation to snack later in the evening!

Remember also that the rest in between rides is as important as the exercise. If you overdo the riding you'll go nowhere.

I don't drink beer, haven't since I was diagnosed as Type2 Diabetic but I do love my Pizza and Chinese food, LOL

Thanks to everyone for the comments

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't we all mate? :welcome:

gazmercer said:
I don't drink beer, haven't since I was diagnosed as Type2 Diabetic but I do love my Pizza and Chinese food, LOL

Thanks to everyone for the comments

ianrauk said:
Don't we all mate? :welcome:
I definitely do. And beer. Could explain why my weight loss has been slower than I might have liked ..

And I'm faced with a (very) likely drop in commute distance from 7 miles each way to 3 miles each way in a couple of months as we move offices. Will have to go out exploring the woods a couple of miles from our new offices at lunchtime I think .. hopefully we'll be getting a shower at work.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You could always extend your commute by a few miles, tis what I do every day.

Lazy-Commuter said:
I definitely do. And beer. Could explain why my weight loss has been slower than I might have liked ..

And I'm faced with a (very) likely drop in commute distance from 7 miles each way to 3 miles each way in a couple of months as we move offices. Will have to go out exploring the woods a couple of miles from our new offices at lunchtime I think .. hopefully we'll be getting a shower at work.

ianrauk said:
You could always extend your commute by a few miles, tis what I do every day.
I will do that, as well. I've got a possible route home which should double the distance, includes a pair of nice steep (but short hills) and a frisky little bit through some orchards ..

Actually, the three miles is already a bit extended. If I walk it, I'll take the direct route which is only a little over two miles.

On the plus side, it means me and Mrs-LC will be able to unload a car whch we've been wanting to do all year but not quite had the bottle.

blazed

220lb+
gazmercer said:
Hi

Not rode a bike for about 12 years and in that time I became a fat lazy slob eating too much junk.

I had forgotten just how enjoyable a bike ride could be (apart from the pain which will lessen as I cycle more).

Hopefully I'll be knocking out some more miles soon.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi to everyone and I look forward to enjoying the forum

Thanks
Gary

Wow thats one of the ugliest bikes ive ever seen. At 38 you really couldnt have bought anything better? Are you spending all your money on food?

Edit: Didnt see you are from Merseyside, that explains it.

OP
OP
gazmercer

gazmercer

blazed said:
Wow thats one of the ugliest bikes ive ever seen. At 38 you really couldnt have bought anything better? Are you spending all your money on food?

HAHA, no. Money has been going on photography equipment oh and the wife + 2 kids. And to what extent does it matter where I'm from ??

Weegie

blazed said:

WTF? Nice way to welcome a newcomer.

Welcome, Gaz. You're back on a bike and enjoying it, nothing else matters, keep going!

Top Bottom