Back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The muscles either side of the lower spine are the main bracing muscles that transmit power and stabilise the shoulders against the pelvis and legs so it's not surprising they ache on a long ride. As with any muscle, use will strengthen them.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The muscles either side of the lower spine are the main bracing muscles that transmit power and stabilise the shoulders against the pelvis and legs so it's not surprising they ache on a long ride. As with any muscle, use will strengthen them.

Wonder if some sit-ups would help too.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Sit ups will help your hip flexors good for running and cycling, to improve your lower back core strength try dorsal bends(hyperextension) some thing like http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/superman as well as plank exercise.

Cheers. Thing is, I'm quite lazy. That's why I started cycling to work, as it was the only way I could consistently incorporate exercise into my routine. The likelihood of me doing situps or anything like that is quite low!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+1 on the core stability.

I suffered from lower back pain on and off for years. Since I started doing martial-arts, and more importantly the strength/flexibility training that goes allong with them, the pain has become much less frequent. Although I can still have incidents when I do something inocuous and twang! I'm in agony again.

MickL

Über Member
Cheers. Thing is, I'm quite lazy. That's why I started cycling to work, as it was the only way I could consistently incorporate exercise into my routine. The likelihood of me doing situps or anything like that is quite low!
think about it about like this, it only takes about 15 mins to do a small body weight routine 2x3 times a week, even for the lazy amongst us its not to much :smile:
3x10 pressups or 3x5 if starting out with 1 min between each set.
3x10 sit ups or 3x5 1 min rest. You could do crunches as to help build you up to sip ups but sit ups improve flexibility well thats what Im led to believe.
3x10 dorsal bends or 3x5.
and hold a plank for 30secs 3 times.

simple as that, the difference it makes to you will be a surprise, no need for hours in the gym.

Ive been doing martial arts for years, the fittest Ive every been was while doing full contact kickboxing, I could give you body weight routines that I still have nightmares about from my time while I was fighting :|

MickL

Über Member

Sex :eek:

Top Bottom