Back problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigGee

I had lower back pain and sciatica due to a prolapsed disc which did not respond to rest, physio or osteopathy, it pretty much kept me away from any serious cycling for a year, which unfortunately came directly after a year off bike due to a badly broken arm when I fell off. I personally feel that the two things where not unrelated as the reduction in core strength I sufferred in the original injury (with a very swollen and immobilised arm for six months) probably played a significanr part in the back injury. I am a nurse and having discussed it with several physios and doctors ( including the one who fixed my arm) they on the whole agree with that conclusion.

I ended up having surgery on the back. What helped enormously in my recovery was pilates, which allowed me to regain the core strength I had lost. I religiosly went to classes for a year or so, which I would recommend if you are not embarrassed about being the only male in a class of women. I was not and it did me the power of good, I feel confident enough now just to do the excercises on my own and not go to the classes. That was more of a money saving excercise on my part and it would probably be better to carry on with the classes if you can as you do undoubtedly do them better in the group. They are definitely a good alternative to chin ups if like me your arm is to weak and too bent to do them anymore.

When I got back on the bike I had to stop frequently and stretch my back. As I built up the miles, I found I could go longer and longer without a stretch and I kept on going up. You do eventually learn that there is a difference between stiffness and pain. I set myself a goal of doing JOGLE and 9 months after the surgery I did it, averaging about 90 miles a day fully loaded. I think my back felt better at the end than at the begining, you do definitely get used to doing longer rides.

The other thing I did during this process which also helped enormously was to change my bike and consequently my position. I finally had to accept that I can't really ride a tight geometry racing bike any more, I just can't maintain that position any more. Probably part due to the injury and part because of ageing. I suspect many slightly older people are sold bikes that are'nt really that suitable for them these days. I boght a purpose built tourer (ridgeback panorama) which gives you a relatively upright position which you can maintain for a long time before it gets you. I would like to get another lighter and faster bike in the future for doing audaxes etc. Probably something branded as an audax bike would be ideal, the one that catches my eye is the condor fratello, but i guess that is for another post.

So in summary, get the right bike, build up miles slowly, stretch and core strength excercises. i don't think you will find any health care professional who will dissagree with that

good luck and happy riding. I hope you become as addicted as the rest of us

grahame

Top Bottom