Back problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
I´m 54 and took up cycling recently as a way of getting fit after a damaged knee stopped me running. Much to my surprise I´ve really got the bug. I was cycling on a Trek 7100 hybrid but now commute 14 miles a day at least twice a week on my new Charge Plug (in London).
Yesterday I met my daughter for lunch cycling 13 miles in the process (my longest ride so far I´m afraid, but I´m working on it!) including a fair way uphill. I woke today with a sore back. Is this just because I´m not used to it? I´ve had back problems on and off for many years (very common with cameramen) and am really hoping that cycling will help the back rather than damage it. Instinctively I feel it will help the back get stronger rather than make matters worse. Anyone been in the same boat?
The knee turned out to be more minor than originally thought but NO WAY am I going back to running!

I´m also looking to get a road back around the grand mark (C2W scheme) and went to Earls Court Bike Show to look at some options. My photos are here:
http://smg.photobuck...20Show/?start=0

ventoux50

Hi Cameramanjim - you're quite vague about your previous history of back problems - my best advice to you is go and see an osteopath / Physiotherapist and get your self analysed properly - if you have an alignment problem/ leg length discrepancy or muscle imbalance this could be the root cause of your probems.

If there is such a problem then manipulation/postural adjustment/stretching/strengthening exercises may well put an end to your pain and improve your cycling enjoyment.

To get checked out might cost you £30 - £40 but it will be money well spent !

Jaguar

I've had lower back pain since my last crash in June '09.
Physio/yoga didn't really help. Riding on the drops for more than 10 miles made it worse, as does digging, weeding etc.

Then I had a lightbulb moment: I started sleeping on my back instead of my front/side, and it's a miracle cure (so far). Worth a try?

pig on a bike

I suffer from lower back trouble i do lots of streaching most days also sit in bath of cold water after rides this cold water thing might sound hard to do but it helps me alot

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I find cycling, over the longer term, helps my back but it really does depend on the nature and location of your issues. Mine are muscular rather than spinal and so strengthening helps, though I can get short term issues. Positioning is very important especially as some problems wouldn't manifest over shorter distances. Only finding out well in to a long ride, and persevering, can really create problems.

I'd spend time reading the numerous threads, and links, here and elsewhere to fuly understand your positioning on the bike. It's also important to recognise how much of an impact core strength can have. Some problems will only be felt as you reach the limits for your current fitness levels. Sheldon Brown highlights the problems that can arise as you become tired and your posture slumps, changing pressure points and causing over compensation in other areas. Core strength is fairly easy to improve, I would always recommend a chinup bar, where physically possible, to be the best all rounder.

Once you've made sure your position is good etc then building up the miles, while listening to your body, should be fairly straight forward. Rather than focusing on speed etc, try to focus on how much you pedal. The forces created when you pedal support some of your weight, adopting a pedal like mad, then coast to get a rest, style, could be detrimental.

Crankarm

Guru
I find cycling, over the longer term, helps my back but it really does depend on the nature and location of your issues. Mine are muscular rather than spinal and so strengthening helps, though I can get short term issues. Positioning is very important especially as some problems wouldn't manifest over shorter distances. Only finding out well in to a long ride, and persevering, can really create problems.

I'd spend time reading the numerous threads, and links, here and elsewhere to fuly understand your positioning on the bike. It's also important to recognise how much of an impact core strength can have. Some problems will only be felt as you reach the limits for your current fitness levels. Sheldon Brown highlights the problems that can arise as you become tired and your posture slumps, changing pressure points and causing over compensation in other areas. Core strength is fairly easy to improve, I would always recommend a chinup bar, where physically possible, to be the best all rounder.

Once you've made sure your position is good etc then building up the miles, while listening to your body, should be fairly straight forward. Rather than focusing on speed etc, try to focus on how much you pedal. The forces created when you pedal support some of your weight, adopting a pedal like mad, then coast to get a rest, style, could be detrimental.

+1. I find myself in agreement with McB! :ohmy: ;) .

Chin ups, lots of them. But also hang from your arms stretching your back - legs out front, behind, sides, up and down, circling clockwise and counter clockwise to twist the hips and stretch the lower back muscles and work the lower vertebrae which become compacted. This will help align the spine and build local muscle strength and tone around the spine and in your abdomen.

But first off consult your doctor because none of us know your medical history sat at our key boards.
Every one reacts to treatment differently as well.

Danny

Legendary Member
If you are going to get a new bike, I would strongly recommend that you buy from a shop that provides a proper bike fitting service. Getting a bike set up properly is key to avoiding back or knee problems, and if you explain your history of back problems to the shop they will take that into account.

When I bought my last bike, I went to Paul Hewitt in Lancashire who spent nearly an hour with me on a special rig sorting out the most comfortable riding position.

If you don't want to go that far there are a number of London shops which offer a Bike Fitting service. Many pros go to Cycle Fit in Covent Garden which has a good reputation but is quite pricey. They also sell Colnagos.

If your back problems are caused by your camera work, or something else, you really need to get this sorted out as well or you are going to be uncomfortable on a bike. Find a good chiropractor or osteopath, or possibly a good occupational health expert, and get some advice on how to avoid getting back pain from your work. One of the things that most improved my back pain was my chiropractors suggestion that I invest in a really good desk chair.

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

Many many thanks to all for the extremely sensible advice. I´ve had osteopathy and it´s pretty well under control now. The general medical consensus is that exercise is good (it used to be that rest was the thing) so I´ll see how I get on. I´m not going to do a Brighton run or anything extreme, I´m just just building up slowly. My blood pressure has dropped over the last few weeks, hopefully because I´m getting fitter through cycling. My feeling of wellbeing has also massively improved -I think I´ve rediscovered my mojo! I used to HATE running but cycling is just brilliant. How come I´ve only just discovered this!?

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

Oh, and I´m also knocked out by the camaraderie - strangers stopping for a chat at the lights, or when you´re chaining your bike to the railings. That´s great!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Oh, and I´m also knocked out by the camaraderie - strangers stopping for a chat at the lights, or when you´re chaining your bike to the railings. That´s great!

I am a similar age to you and restarted cycling last year after a break of about 25 years. I suffered lower back problems since a car smash over 10 years back.

My back is better now by far.I have a Trek Hybrid commuter bike and a Scott road racer with drop handlebars,initially I thought I would be unable to continue riding the Scott as it was killing my back but gradually it improved and now I can ride it all day including down in the drops downhill or into headwinds without problem.

I hope it works out for you the same. I am, now lighter , fitter and my back is improved beyond all my hopes.

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks MacB and Crankarm. After reading this earlier I put up a couple of hooks in the shed to hang off. Excellent!

Hope you get and keep comfortable with your back CameramanJim. Plus everyone else that has a back.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just a few thoughts...

Firstly, great you're back on bike.
Ridng a s/s Charge Plug is a great way to get back riding, but only having 1 gear could potentially cause strain over lumpy terrain (much of London's pretty mundane) or when you're tired. A geared-bike would be a sensible idea for longer excursions allowing you to spin your legs around rather than pushing hard on the pedals up inclines.

Secondly, bike fit is everything in preventing future problems. Some helpful reading here:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Thirdly, I find cycling helps my back mostly, but it's easy to get pulled out of shape if it's not balanced by stretching and other core strengthening. Shortened hamstrings is a classic cyclists ailment which can lead to lower back problems (and the cyclist-gait).

Finally, if you have any twinges, seek a health professional ASAP.

Crankarm

Guru
Just a few thoughts...

Firstly, great you're back on bike.
Ridng a s/s Charge Plug is a great way to get back riding, but only having 1 gear could potentially cause strain over lumpy terrain (much of London's pretty mundane) or when you're tired. A geared-bike would be a sensible idea for longer excursions allowing you to spin your legs around rather than pushing hard on the pedals up inclines.

Secondly, bike fit is everything in preventing future problems. Some helpful reading here:
http://www.peterwhit...com/fitting.htm

Thirdly, I find cycling helps my back mostly, but it's easy to get pulled out of shape if it's not balanced by stretching and other core strengthening. Shortened hamstrings is a classic cyclists ailment which can lead to lower back problems (and the cyclist-gait).

Finally, if you have any twinges, seek a health professional ASAP.

Some good advice here.

Top Bottom