Should I buy with these problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to buy a bicycle. I met the owner and inspected it.

It has 3 problems:
  1. the suspension is rusted
  2. the chain is rusted
  3. front tire

How bad are these problems, and Can it be fixed? Or are they disqualifying?
chain2.jpg

suspension1.jpg

tyre1.jpg

Attachments

• chain1.jpg
    chain1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 20
  • tyre2.jpg
    tyre2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 22
  • suspension2.jpg
    suspension2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 23

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike is it? How much is it?

richardfm

Veteran
Just take the cost of replacing the chain (and possibly the cassette) and tyre into account when negotiating a price.

A bit of fine emery will clean up the suspension.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

Moon dollars?

Corrosion on the fork looks superficial, as does that on the chain. I see it has a front tyre - these are generally considered beneficial 👍

I did notice that there appears to be significant wear on the chainrings and probably chain; meaning these bits will require replacement soon. On top of that cost this also raises questions about the condition of the rest of the bike.

Not familiar with the brand and an assessment depends largely on the value of your currency and the state of your local market, however it appears to be an unremarkable, worn-out hybrid of potentially questionable quality for a good chunk of money. Over here I'd say you'd be lucky to get £100 for it; whatever that translates to in your currency.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
Moon dollars?

Corrosion on the fork looks superficial, as does that on the chain. I see it has a front tyre - these are generally considered beneficial 👍

I did notice that there appears to be significant wear on the chainrings and probably chain; meaning these bits will require replacement soon. On top of that cost this also raises questions about the condition of the rest of the bike.

Not familiar with the brand and an assessment depends largely on the value of your currency and the state of your local market, however it appears to be an unremarkable, worn-out hybrid of potentially questionable quality for a good chunk of money. Over here I'd say you'd be lucky to get £100 for it; whatever that translates to in your currency.

Thank you for taking time for this reply, I appreciate it.

Moon dollars? ^_^ no. I meant United States Dollar.

What about the tire, are those expensive, difficult to replace?
it looks torn.

Originally this guy was selling it for 370$ and then changed it to 260 but it sounds like that is too much too.
1.jpg

2.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
Well, as people say the rust looks like a bit of a clean up will sort it.
What does a tyre cost? Not that much.
The chain and other faults exposed could amount to a bit.

The chain guard is a clue to what you are really buying. I don't think it was ever worth $250.

If in doubt, don't!

Thank you for the reply.

Do you mean even the new one was not worth 250$?

Why is chain guard the clue? too much rust?

AndyRM

XOXO
I did not expect that price! About £1100 new ?

That's not the same bike. The head tube is totally different for a start. Not sure I'd be parting with £1k for it either mind.

As for the OP, it needs work for sure as said above. If you have the knowledge and equipment to carry out what it needs doing then make an offer based on that, go low, maybe $150? But if you don't need/want the hassle then I'd keep looking.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I did not expect that price! About £1100 new ?

Looks like the one linked to by craigwend is a bit newer, but yeah - fairly pricey for a hybrid.

Still looks like it needs a new drivetrain though, and since the OP is asking about basics I suspect that'll be a bike shop job with the associated costs..

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Basic Suntour forks - just make sure they go up and down, there is nothing more you can do with these. If they don't move, they are dead and corroded. All you can do is clean them up and silicone spray the seals. Will need a new chain.

Tyres are getting a bit old, but should be OK for now. Wouldn't be paying $250 for that though, maybe half that. I picked up a very nice Colnago Cyclo Cross bike for £330 last year, which has a much higher specification. Used bike sales aren't at a premium price anymore.

Top Bottom