Should I buy with these problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's not the same bike. The head tube is totally different for a start. Not sure I'd be parting with £1k for it either mind.

As for the OP, it needs work for sure as said above. If you have the knowledge and equipment to carry out what it needs doing then make an offer based on that, go low, maybe $150? But if you don't need/want the hassle then I'd keep looking.

I think this is the key point. They aren't particularly difficult things to sort out for someone with a full toolkit and a bit of an experience. But that's assuming a lot. And it is a hassle, knowledge and experience or not. Go very low indeed.

dimrub

The problems listed in the original post are easy and not very expensive to fix. Looking at the tire, I'm not even sure it requires an immediate replacement. However, these faults may indicate that the bike was mistreated for long enough for the chain and the fork to rust, and more issues are lurking underneath the surface, specifically, rust in the frame. Given that it appears to be fairly overpriced, I'd keep looking past this particular bike - or request a substantial discount to account for visible, as well as potential problems.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thank you for taking time for this reply, I appreciate it.

Moon dollars? ^_^ no. I meant United States Dollar.

What about the tire, are those expensive, difficult to replace?
it looks torn.

Originally this guy was selling it for 370$ and then changed it to 260 but it sounds like that is too much too.
View attachment 724085

View attachment 724086
Cool - no worries :smile:

Thanks for clairfying the currency - obviously "dollars" can have widely differing value depending on their country of origin.

Those tyres look cracked; possibly as a result of UV damage, being run over-inflated, being poor quality or possibly other reasons. I'm tight with little regard for my own safety so I'd run them and keep an eye on them, but for teh sake of haggling you can argue that they'll need replacing.

Reasonable utility tyres will typically cost £15+ea (so probably a similar amount in dollars) and are easy to change (possibly with a few basic tools) - as a cyclist this is a skill you'll need as sooner or later you'll have to deal with a puncture, which will require tyre removal. Again, for the sake of haggling you could quote mid-range tyre prices (maybe £25ea) plus bike-shop fitting.

Tbh nobody else seems to have picked up on it but that drivetrain is very worn - as evidenced by the elongated chain (look at the rear derailleur angle; it's folded right back on itself which indicated excessive chain length), while the shots of the crankset show visibly worn teeth and a mis-match between their pitch and that of the chain. So... in parts you're looking at a chain (maybe £20), plus at least one, maybe three chainrings (probably £10-15ea) plus fitting.

That of course is what we can tell from the pics - from the wear and tyres it doesn't look particularly well-looked after, so who's to say what sort of state the rest of it's in.

If you're not mechanically-minded and will need to pay someone else to sort the issues, I'd say look elsewhere. If you want to learn, it could be a good opportunity if you can get it cheap enough; which IMO would be $100 or less.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Moon dollars?

Corrosion on the fork looks superficial, as does that on the chain. I see it has a front tyre - these are generally considered beneficial 👍

I did notice that there appears to be significant wear on the chainrings and probably chain; meaning these bits will require replacement soon. On top of that cost this also raises questions about the condition of the rest of the bike.

Not familiar with the brand and an assessment depends largely on the value of your currency and the state of your local market, however it appears to be an unremarkable, worn-out hybrid of potentially questionable quality for a good chunk of money. Over here I'd say you'd be lucky to get £100 for it; whatever that translates to in your currency.

^^This

Gwylan

Veteran
Thank you for the reply.

Do you mean even the new one was not worth 250$?

Why is chain guard the clue? too much rust?

Just on appearances.
It's an ordinary bicycle. Or is there something extra.
It weighs only 3kg? Has a secret motor?

$250 for a used pedal bike seems over the top.
New pedal bikes don't cost that much.

The chain guard says something about who it is aimed at. Why would you pedal that extra weight around?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The chain guard says something about who it is aimed at. Why would you pedal that extra weight around?
Because you want to keep your chain protected from road dirt and keep your drive train in tip top condition for long life.

Oh ... hang on :laugh:
1710177237923.png

Dadam

Er, because you don't to get muck on your trousers? Some folks actually use a bike simply as a means of transport. I know! 😲

I usually change for the commute but I've managed to get oil on my chinos when I nipped to the shop at lunchtime, because I'd come in on my road bike and forgot it didn't have a guard. I have the type that just covers the chainwheel on my commuter bike.

The entire drivetrain is cooked. Chain is worn, chainrings are worn and by default, so is the cassette as well. But, those things don't cost the earth.

Remove the chain, spin the crank and put your ear against the top tube. Now you have a direct line to the BB bearings. If they say Shhhhhhh, they are good, if they say RRRRRRRRReplace me, it is bad. Don't let the pedals hit you in the teeth when performing this maneuvre.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Given the wear on the front tyre and general condition of the bike, I'd guess it was ridden a few times then stuck in a shed and forgotten about till recently. There just doesn't appear to be enough scratches and dents to suggest it's had a long rough life.
The drivetrain when cleaned up may well be in damn good condition otherwise.
I'd say go for it.

Big John

Guru
I think most of us would agree it needs some work doing to it, no question. If it was a lot cheaper I think a mechanically minded CCer would buy it and in no time turn it into a half decent workhorse of a bike. However, we're talking about £200 in our money and we expect a lot better than that for £200. If I'd seen that for maybe £70 I'd give it some thought and probably offer £50, or about USD 70. I'm sure it was a decent bike in it's day.

Top Bottom