Back to bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andicog

Hi, I've decided to try and get back into cycling after too many lazy years with motorbikes and cars, The last bike I had back in the early 80's was a nice light Holdsworth complete with fancy lugs and (of all things) a Bickerton folding bike chainset (it was the only way to get 57 teeth !) . I have just bought a nearly new Carrera TDF (yes I know its not perfect but its 100% better than my mates new Raliegh Pursuit, what happened to Raliegh . . . . . . ? ) as a cheap way of getting back to two wheels . For the money I'm pleased with it, however . . . I find the standard (Shimano) front and back mech and the standard chainwheel pretty cheap and cheerfull, does anyone know what I can upgrade these to whilst on a budget ? What will fit the standard bottom bracket ? (last time I changed one it involved ball bearings and a C spanner ! ). Thanks for any help :wacko:

bauldbairn

andicog said:
...what happened to Raliegh . . . . . . ?

I don't think their build their bikes in Britain anymore? :wacko: Although they do still make some nice bikes - they don't dominate the streets like they did in the 70's/80's. :thumbsup:

Anyway, Hello andicog and Welcome to the CC forums. :biggrin:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
andicog said:
I find the standard (Shimano) front and back mech and the standard chainwheel pretty cheap and cheerfull, does anyone know what I can upgrade these to whilst on a budget ?

Firstly welcome back to too life on two wheels. It's great, I've never been fitter (or had so much time off work due to injuries :wacko:)

Have a look on evil bay for compatible groupsets. If you're on 2300 then you need to look at Sora or Tiagra to upgrade, should be a straight swap tbh!

Will second what the other guys said, welcome back to life on two wheels. I've only been riding weekly (apart from 2miles from train stn to work) since December and feel so good for it and really missed it when I was ill the other week.

To add to what Vikeonabike said - I've Shimano's Sora groupset and it's easier top fit than some. A friend who's been building bikes for some time says that it works straight away when put on a bike. I didn't think a groupset couldn't do that but some others must need more tweaking.

Something else I learnt recently and in case it's useful to you returning to riding - I was getting a lot of discomfort in my neck / where the shoulder goes into the neck. My head stem pointed down, someone spotted - which is not unusual but meant I could turn it the other way to bring the handlebars up. I also turned the handlebars back a bit (if looking at the them from the side, turned them towards the bike, so as to raise the brakes). Both are small differences and I wasn't sure they would make much difference but the pain is all gone. :-)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Vikeonabike said:
Firstly welcome back to too life on two wheels. It's great, I've never been fitter (or had so much time off work due to injuries ;))

Have a look on evil bay for compatible groupsets. If you're on 2300 then you need to look at Sora or Tiagra to upgrade, should be a straight swap tbh!

2300 is last years sora i think so if you are going to upgrade may as well go to tiagra.I run 2300 on my new bike and its fine , a dang site smoother than the sora from my old tdf02

OP
OP
A

andicog

Thanks for the advice guys, Fletch456, I've already done bars ! I'm sort of used to riding motorbikes with drop bars (ZX10r Kwak) so its not that different but I found it was a long reach even after moving seat slightly forward. I also find the weight is more front biased than I remember but the stem is quite long so presume this wont help.
I did about 12 miles on Thursday and it felt great, nice to be back ! ;)

Top Bottom