Back to Biking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete75

Hello

Back in the saddle after a 20 year layoff -- old Raleigh Titanium frame mountain bike still giving good service after a clean up .
Legs and lungs are a bit down on power so looking at an Ebike -- probably a Riese +Muller Supercharger .
Anyone with a R+M bike with Rohloff gearbox and Gates drive out there ?

Would love to hear your advice and comments.

Pete

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why the hurry to get an ebike?
How old are you and how much did you used to ride?
It will take months to rebuild fitness to anywhere like what you had when young, but it can be done.
I'm nearly 47 and miles fitter now than I ever was as a keen young cyclist but when I returned to cycling in my late 30s it took 6-12 months to build up fitness to a point where I could contemplate setting off on a 100 mile ride without worrying if I could complete it.
There's no rush and you don't have to be a racing snake straight away, if at all.
Maybe give your unassisted cycling a while longer before you jump on an ebike.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Hello

Back in the saddle after a 20 year layoff -- old Raleigh Titanium frame mountain bike still giving good service after a clean up .
Legs and lungs are a bit down on power so looking at an Ebike -- probably a Riese +Muller Supercharger .
Anyone with a R+M bike with Rohloff gearbox and Gates drive out there ?

Would love to hear your advice and comments.

Pete
What is your objective in getting back into cycling after 20 years?

OP
OP
P

pete75

Why the hurry to get an ebike?
How old are you and how much did you used to ride?
It will take months to rebuild fitness to anywhere like what you had when young, but it can be done.
I'm nearly 47 and miles fitter now than I ever was as a keen young cyclist but when I returned to cycling in my late 30s it took 6-12 months to build up fitness to a point where I could contemplate setting off on a 100 mile ride without worrying if I could complete it.
There's no rush and you don't have to be a racing snake straight away, if at all.
Maybe give your unassisted cycling a while longer before you jump on an ebike.
Will do and thanks for good advice

Welcome Sir! Your Ti bike sounds like it might be quite desirable, much more so than modern CF tat :smile:

I don't know enough about e-bikes to comment on that side, but it costs nothing to see how you get on un-assisted for a couple of weeks.

Just one question - are you a Corona Cyclist??

M

Sharky

Guru
I've had a few breaks from cycling and from injury. Not as long as 20 years though. But each time back, the first few rides seem like marathons and muscles you didn't know you had, start to ache. But after a few rides it all starts to come back, much quicker than you expected. Just keep the rides shortish for a while. We are all on solo rides at the moment, so no pressure to keep up with others.

So give yourself time on the old bike before you indulge in an e bike.

Happy Cycling

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Get fitter and slim down a bit, and its easier on my knees than mountain climbing .
So to provide advice in response to your original post I would not purchase an e bike. Instead give your legs and lungs a workout on a push bike and thus achieve your objectives quicker.

If your objective had been to tour the UK, to cope with a disability or to get to work quicker then I would have recommended an e bike.

Top Bottom