Back to where i started

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Just been out for a little jaunt, normally takes an hour, today it took 10 minutes longer. It is windy and i wondered could my wind proof jacket act as a brake ? It isnt huge but is loose fitting, at one time i stopped to check that brakes were not on. I even had to do most on the middle gear, normaly done on big wheel, and if i could have got into it i would have used little one a couple of times. Or am i just getting worse :-(

ScotiaLass

Guru
Just been out for a little jaunt, normally takes an hour, today it took 10 minutes longer. It is windy and i wondered could my wind proof jacket act as a brake ? It isnt huge but is loose fitting, at one time i stopped to check that brakes were not on. I even had to do most on the middle gear, normaly done on big wheel, and if i could have got into it i would have used little one a couple of times. Or am i just getting worse :-(

I've had days like this!
I hate riding in the wind, it slows me down a lot and as I already ride a very heavy MTB...well you can imagine!
I'm sure you've just had 'one of those days'
:hugs:

Dismount

The wind is an invisible barrier it does slow you down, wind is a vector, if you are cycling at 10mph in to a headwind at 10mph you will feel a 20mph headwind. Anything that is loose will cause more drag, tighter clothing will help. Also when it is cold, windy you are less motivated, in summary I very much doubt you are slowing down.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Headwinds are worse than hills IMO and I live in Scotland. 10 min loss on an hour ride, yes that's down to wind I'd suggest. Closer fitting garb will help but maybe not as much as you might think. Good training though^_^ battling a headwind

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At "normal" cycling speeds on the flat approximately 80% of the resistance you have to overcome is the air, the rest is rolling resistance, mechanical inefficiencies in the drivetrain etc. So a windy day, combined with loose fitting clothing will have a significant effect on your speed.
Also if you do the maths, you encounter more air resistance force in total on windy days even if you go "out and back" than on still days.

paul04

Über Member
I've had days like this!
I hate riding in the wind, it slows me down a lot and as I already ride a very heavy MTB...well you can imagine!
I'm sure you've just had 'one of those days'
:hugs:
Someday it feels like I'm going backward when riding into a headwind, I remember 1 day looking down at the speedo on the bike and I was doing 5 mph :surrender:

LimeBurn

Über Member
As has already been said - Wind is a general pain in the backside, which wont be helped with your jacket. Tyre pressures make a big difference too, but sometimes I think you can just have an off period or just an off ride if you know what I mean - sometimes I feel like I'm riding through sand and then with no changes a few days later I feel like I'm flying. Dont get put off just keep riding.^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Wind is for sure a factor in your slowing down, Stephanie, don't beat yourself up about this ride.
Once I had to dismount and walk due to a strong side wind :blush:

Have you been riding the same amount as in the summer, if not you'll slip backwards a bit. How does it feel, as hard as when you started or easier than then. Don't just look at the time.

Top Bottom