Back to your youth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Do you ever crave the need to go back to revisit a place which was significant in your youth?

Yes. I leave it as a craving though. I know wherever will have changed, and I know my memory will have played tricks on me. It's not so much me wanting to avoid disappointment at the inevitable change, more that I enjoy the feeling of craving - keeping the memories, however mistaken, exactly as they are (best I can) for their warming effect.

tom73

Guru
I still live in the house I grew up in as did my Dad , so I don't need to move much to remember though the area has changed a lot. Many people I grew up with have moved on or died , new neighbours are not as friendly as in the past. My old school is still around the corner though with new bits added. I do often think of the fun we had when I walk past it. Sadly many of the fields I played and my walked with my Dad learning my love of nature have all but gone due to housing. We still have the park though not as kept as it was. Once was a place of play is now a place for quality time when out with the dog.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Ive no desire to revisit/go back and dont think its really possible. I have by chance breezed back to old haunts but it might as well be another town for all it means. Its all just a dream [or nightmare] and ive an aversion to living a 'story'. IMHO better to surf the present or 'row row row your boat'..... :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
No, not any more. I've cut all ties deliberately. I may go back for one final Up Helly Aa (Mini D has never seen one although Mrs D has.)

i've reevaluated life and want to spend the time left to me looking forward, not back.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Quite a few years ago I cycled along Blackpool sea front from St Anne's to Bispham. I decided to stop for a moment to see if The White Lodge hotel was still there on King Edward Avenue, where we spent many happy holidays in the 1960's. Sadly, it looked like the hotel had been turned into flats.

yello

We had a willow-like tree in the garden of a house we once lived in. 20 years later, I took a stroll past that house. The tree was much smaller than I remembered. Or maybe I was bigger?

Sadly all of the fields that I used to play in with my friends have been built on . It's going on everywhere! It's not for the locals but for people who have sold their homes in the east for loads of money and moving West . Their kids won't be able to run around in the fields, play rounders or cut branches to make bows and arrows. The railway embankment which used to be covered in grass and ant hills is now densely covered in trees. We used to climb up to the top and look out across the fields . In the winter it made a lovely slope toboggan down. I bet that the farmer used to cuss us for messing about with his hay bales left out in the fields. They were great for playing off ground tag . Or you could use them like large Lego bricks and make houses or boats , you just had to have an imagination.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I reckon if you fancy it, just do it. Its not for me though as I've never been one for looking back for a couple of different reasons but I've always deliberately moved on from every stage of my life with Mrs Slick being the only constant.

I do think there is a bit of self-preservation involved in this tactic, as you obviously get to a stage in life when you look back and the biggest influencers in your life are no longer here, so its just easier to keep moving forward.

I do think whenever I'm ready to put my feet up a bit, I would like to go back to the old country and complete the circle.

I've seen a number of people do this with varying degrees of success, and Mrs Slick is happy where she is, so we will just have to wait and see.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The shop is now a house. I would love to knock on the door and ask if I could see inside and bring back so many memories.

It won’t though, as the inside of the house will look nowhere near what it did 70 years ago. It’d be like if you went to a school reunion and wonder who the old women is and realise it’s the teenage girl you used to fancy.

An old colleague walked past me yesterday. It’s been 30 years since we worked together. He never did any exercise and it shows, he looked decrepit despite being pretty much the same age. The past is a place best kept intact in your memories.

I am another who doesn’t dwell too much on the past, I live in the present, and prepare as best I can for the future,

Top Bottom