Back up Text Messages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have a long thread of text messages which I'm anxious not to lose. I'm using an Android phone, have a Gmail account and back-up regularly. Just run it this morning. My phone, Motorola G6, is getting a bit clunky and I want to try a full reset plus clean out a lot of unwanted data and other stuff.

I'd be very unhappy if I lost this text message thread as it's with a dear friend. I like to refer back to old messages from time to time. Is there a way I can back-up these messages and save them to my laptop? Ideally I want something where I can actually see the messages before I do anything with the phone.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can do to SD card then laptop?
https://www.jihosoft.com/android-tips/save-android-text-messages-to-sd-card.html

Or pc https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-63451-1-1.html

Numerous other webpages available through google search

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Best one I've used is an app called SMSBackupAndRestore
You can backup all the messages, and either upload to a cloud account, or connect USB and copy the file off. You can even schedule backups to happen every day, or every week.

Then you can install the app if you get a new phone, and restore the messages. Works really well.

si_c

Guru
The one I use is MyBackup Pro by a Rerware software.

It backs up everything from your phone if you want and you can just elect to backup sms messages if you want. It also backs it up as a zip file you can copy to your computer or you can backup onto the cloud and restore from the cloud too direct onto your new phone.

I've used it for a number of phone changes over the last ten years without a problem.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just to return briefly to this. I discovered quite by chance today that as I use Google text messages I can very simply set this up so I am able to text from my laptop. An added bonus is I have been able to copy and paste the message thread I was very anxious not to lose in to a Word document. Real belt and braces but this message thread is very important to me so I feel more comfortable having done this as well as using one of the suggested backups.

Thanks for all the advice. It's much appreciated.

Top Bottom