Back wheel fell off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Took out the halfords three year service plan six months ago and finally got round to using it after numbnuts kindly gave me a new rear mech. I'm terrible with fixing things so thought I'd take the pain out of it and give it to them.

I've noticed my back disc brake rubs abit so I'm having to loosen it up abit to stop it rubbing, but this reduces the braking action. I'll need to get that sorted.

Anyway, they fixed it so the back brake was quite working quite well, I thought nothing of it but in doingso they must have reduced the tension on the back wheel quick release a bit too much.

At first I thought I'd got a puncture, so wasn't sure but slowed down. Stopped, picked up the back of the frame and whoop, off came the wheel.

It's been a while since I picked it up from halfords, almost a couple of months so it's my own fault for not checking the tension. I've tightened it up but it's still moving very slightly when I push it from side to side. Is that normal?

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Took out the halfords three year service plan six months ago and finally got round to using it after numbnuts kindly gave me a new rear mech. I'm terrible with fixing things so thought I'd take the pain out of it and give it to them.

I've noticed my back disc brake rubs abit so I'm having to loosen it up abit to stop it rubbing, but this reduces the braking action. I'll need to get that sorted.

Anyway, they fixed it so the back brake was quite working quite well, I thought nothing of it but in doingso they must have reduced the tension on the back wheel quick release a bit too much.

At first I thought I'd got a puncture, so wasn't sure but slowed down. Stopped, picked up the back of the frame and whoop, off came the wheel.

It's been a while since I picked it up from halfords, almost a couple of months so it's my own fault for not checking the tension. I've tightened it up but it's still moving very slightly when I push it from side to side. Is that normal?

My English in this is terrible. I was a little merry when I wrote it.

gavintc

Guru

The link to Halfords is non existent. You might as well have included Tesco as you probably bought your bread from them last week. 2months and you have not checked the tension - geez

Tharg2007

Veteran

The link to Halfords is non existent. You might as well have included Tesco as you probably bought your bread from them last week. 2months and you have not checked the tension - geez

I think thats a little unfair, i don't check the tension on mine after ive made sure its on right, riverman took it to halfords so they would make sure its on tight so no need for him to check.

gavintc

Guru

If the service was within the last day (few days) acceptable, but come on 2 months. Anyone could have slackened it off when it was parked up somewhere. Anyway, checking tension is just one of those things you do on a fairly regular basis, at least weekly.

I think thats a little unfair, i don't check the tension on mine after ive made sure its on right, riverman took it to halfords so they would make sure its on tight so no need for him to check.

gavintc

Guru

OK, the link would be there the next day (few days), but 2 months is ridiculous. Checking your wheels is one of those things you do - pretty regularly. The tension could have been slackened when locked up.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
It's just dawned on me that it's only been about three weeks as I got the rear mech from numbnuts on the 7th of June and didn't have it fitted until sometime later.

It was more out of convenience to take it to halfords. I've fitted a rear mech before but I could see myself never getting round to fixing it if I'd left it here.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru

OK, the link would be there the next day (few days), but 2 months is ridiculous. Checking your wheels is one of those things you do - pretty regularly. The tension could have been slackened when locked up.

I think if you did a poll of bike users (not on here) you'd find that the vast majority of people who ride bikes do not check the tension on their wheels regularly. This doesn't excuse it but try not to get so upset about something which is so common.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think if you did a poll of bike users (not on here) you'd find that the vast majority of people who ride bikes do not check the tension on their wheels regularly. This doesn't excuse it but try not to get so upset about something which is so common.

You are probably right.... but is very good practice just to check. QR can get knocked inadvertently.... especially when wheeling N[sub]1 [/sub]past N[sub]2[/sub] when N[sub]3[/sub]'s pedals catch you in the ankles.^_^

...oooooh [sub]subscript[/sub], I do like this new look...:rolleyes:

rusky

CC Addict
If it's moving from side to side, the cones are probably loose.

TBH, bike maintenance isn't rocket science & can be rewarding.

Radius

SHREDDER
I'm sorry but how on earth would a quick release skewer loosen whilst being locked up? If you take a bike to a bike mechanic, they should make sure they return it safe to ride. If the OP hadn't touched the bike since he got it back, then it's the fault of the mechanic that the QR was loose. Not difficult.

gavintc

Guru
I'm sorry but how on earth would a quick release skewer loosen whilst being locked up? If you take a bike to a bike mechanic, they should make sure they return it safe to ride. If the OP hadn't touched the bike since he got it back, then it's the fault of the mechanic that the QR was loose. Not difficult.

There are some sad people out there. My wife locked her bike in the sheds at work and noticed on the way home that the bike felt strange. Someone had loosened her QR and then closed the QR, so it was not simply loosened by being accidentally caught. The OP originally stated 2 months from service to problem. Personally, I think that time frame excludes the shop, but he has now claimed it was a shorter time frame. Perhaps I am anal out this, I have a fear of a wheel coming free, and having an accident, so I do check it very regularly - probably most times I am putting more air in and certainly at least weekly.

smeg

Yes that's pretty much the usual standard of Halfrauds' incompetence, you need to do your own bike maintenance or use a proper bike shop. I have their 3yr service plan I purchased with my mountain bike, in hindsight I shouldn't have bothered they don't know anything about bikes I do all my own repairs/servicing now, I wont let those morons anywhere near my bike(s).

Barbelier

Yes that's pretty much the usual standard of Halfrauds' incompetence, you need to do your own bike maintenance or use a proper bike shop. I have their 3yr service plan I purchased with my mountain bike, in hindsight I shouldn't have bothered they don't know anything about bikes I do all my own repairs/servicing now, I wont let those morons anywhere near my bike(s).
Exactly! I would never trust Halfords with any bike. Our local store is staffed by 12 year olds who couldn't care less. They set up one of my kids bikes and I was horrified by the number of things that were left loose or not working:angry: . I'm no bike mechanic but have found that with a decent bike maintenance book, using the internet and a reasonable toolkit you can do most jobs yourself.

Top Bottom