Back Wheel Question please for non technical cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WGKP

Hi All
I have a Boardman Team Carbon bike from around 2010-12 purchase and about a week ago whilst out a large cracking sound took place. After getting a puncture a week later I saw that the rim where the spokes are attached had a crack against one of them which also made the rotation of the back wheel not very straight to say the least.
The wheel is a Ritchey OCR Pro, 6061 T-6 Alloy, ETRTO #622-14 with a 10 gear ring on it. Don't know what that would have been worth/cost back in the day.
i am guessing I need to replace the wheel. I want to buy something of similar quality/perhaps slightly better/more robust, but have no clue as to what to buy and what the pricing is. Not sure what level of quality that wheel was, do you get more for your money know or less???
Additionally is the cogset tied to the wheel and so I need to purchase both or can the cogset come off and be added/attached to the new purchased wheel.

If anybody can suggest a choice of perhaps 3-5 wheels , if you know the price range brilliant, if not I can have a look online.

I can replace punctures that's probably as far as I can do, did build a bike when i was about 15 but that was a long time ago & it had only 3 gears then!!!
Any help gratefully appreciated.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Oh dear, sorry about that. Most economical course of action might be to get a new rim laced to the hub. The cogs or cassette as it's known can stay on. Many people build their own wheels but if you don't want to attempt it take it to your local bike shop.

vickster

Legendary Member
Disc or rim brakes (assume the latter given age of bike?)

Superstar components make good wheels (you'll need to add rim tape) and often have generous discount codes (you might want to get a pair of new wheels)

OP
OP
W

WGKP

Oh dear, sorry about that. Most economical course of action might be to get a new rim laced to the hub. The cogs or cassette as it's known can stay on. Many people build their own wheels but if you don't want to attempt it take it to your local bike shop.
Any thoughts on price? Might have a go myself. It was a £1000 Boardman Track Carbon

OP
OP
W

WGKP

Disc or rim brakes (assume the latter given age of bike?)

Superstar components make good wheels (you'll need to add rim tape) and often have generous discount codes (you might want to get a pair of new wheels)
Yep Rim as you said, Any thoughts on price for new wheels? Might have a go myself. It was a £1000 Boardman Track Carbon

Hi All
I have a Boardman Team Carbon bike from around 2010-12 purchase and about a week ago whilst out a large cracking sound took place. After getting a puncture a week later I saw that the rim where the spokes are attached had a crack against one of them which also made the rotation of the back wheel not very straight to say the least.
The wheel is a Ritchey OCR Pro, 6061 T-6 Alloy, ETRTO #622-14 with a 10 gear ring on it. Don't know what that would have been worth/cost back in the day.
i am guessing I need to replace the wheel. I want to buy something of similar quality/perhaps slightly better/more robust, but have no clue as to what to buy and what the pricing is. Not sure what level of quality that wheel was, do you get more for your money know or less???
Additionally is the cogset tied to the wheel and so I need to purchase both or can the cogset come off and be added/attached to the new purchased wheel.

If anybody can suggest a choice of perhaps 3-5 wheels , if you know the price range brilliant, if not I can have a look online.

I can replace punctures that's probably as far as I can do, did build a bike when i was about 15 but that was a long time ago & it had only 3 gears then!!!
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Correlation is not causation. The large cracking sound didn't come from the cracked rim. These crack without any fanfare at all.

But let's see a photo of the damage. Please use the focus feature of your camera when taking the picture.

si_c

Guru
If you're looking for a replacement wheelset for a rim braked road bike, the Prime wheels from Wiggle/ChainReaction are decent enough and reasonably priced. If you want a good set of wheels you're looking at buying some handbuilts from somewhere like DCR wheels.

I'd get a pair personally because the mismatched wheels would drive me mad, you can of course just buy a rear wheel if that wouldn't bother you.

Tom B

Guru
@WGKP where abouts in the world are you?

OP
OP
W

WGKP

This would be suitable if you just want to replace the wheel:
https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-rs100-700c-9-11-speed-rear-road-wheel-EV353525
You can do it yourself but you'll need to swap over the cassette using a couple of tools:

View: https://youtu.be/7-MYHOpzT5A

Hey Cycleops, wondered about spending a tiny bit more and getting the Shimano rs300 clincher rear wheel from Wiggle and doing it myself following the video. The wheel is just under a ton at £ 97.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hey Cycleops, wondered about spending a tiny bit more and getting the Shimano rs300 clincher rear wheel from Wiggle and doing it myself following the video. The wheel is just under a ton at £ 97.
Should be absolutely fine. You'll need a few tools but should be very straightforward. Make a note of the various spacers you may find.
Be careful threading on the cassette so as not to get it crossed.
Good luck.

Top Bottom