Background read on Blood Doping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
shoosh Laurence. No-one in football dopes!

U

User169

Blonde said:
I suppose homologous transfusions increase the risk of contracting HIV - is this why it is banned? But why is the other method banned? It's not actually using any performance enhancing drugs, so why, and when was it first banned? What makes it different to using any 'legal' method of enhancing performance?

It was banned by the IOC after the 1984 Olympics when the US cycling team showed how effective it could be. Unfortunately, they'd didn't have time to get autologous transfusions so used homologous blood and, yes, some of them contracted hepatitis.

However, there are risks associated with autologous transfusions including phlebitis, septicemia, hyperviscocity syndrome (eg heart failure), bacterial infections...[nice].

Personally I'd prefer a sport in which young men and women don't feel they need to take such risks with their health.

yenrod

Such a great read that very interesting sounds fantastic...wouldnt mind some of that HGH myself...

Its the bit were he says the Dr mentions, "One of my bike racers who isn't really a climber went on a training ride and dropped the best climbers on his team," he said. "They were like, 'Um, what are you taking?"...

Top Bottom