Backpack - 28 vs 34L?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Am after a new backpack and have narrowed it down to two of the Ospreys - the Quasar and Nebula at 28 and 34L respectively. Ideally I'd like as small a one as possible but am not sure 28L will be enough to carry everything I need. In real terms how much extra gear (clothes/office stuff) can you get with an additional 6L?

Drago

Legendary Member
I commute ok with a 25L. Clothes, lunch, odds and sods, no probs.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thing is that I also use my backpack for walking/hiking as well as commuting so again not sure whether 34L is a substantial increase over 28 in real world terms.

Got the momentum 34 and its often full with the usual bits and pieces. Laptop, work clothes, cycling waterproofs, tools, locks, ...

Blurb

Über Member
Those backpacks have got "compression straps", so maybe get the larger one and squish it down if you're not filling it.
I've got an old Vaude with an expansion zipper and most of the time it's zipped up, but occasionally it's good to have the option to expand it when I've got a bit more to carry.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Got the momentum 34 and its often full with the usual bits and pieces. Laptop, work clothes, cycling waterproofs, tools, locks, ...

I don't think you can get that one any more. The Momentum 30 is the biggest of that one I think.

I don't think you can get that one any more. The Momentum 30 is the biggest of that one I think.

Yeah, its a couple of years old. Recently one of the clasps failed but got in touch with osprey and they sent a new one out gratis :okay:.

jaynana

i use a Deuter Cross Ait 20 EXP. among all the cycling jobbies selected this for the best ventilation design on a roadbike riding position - bag only touches the body at the hip and shoulders, apart from a mesh which gets contoured along the body. must say it does maintain a ventilation gap between the body and the rucksack, but 20miles riding in the summer it still sweats!

it's expandable although i've never expanded. i commute with a normal sized Dell lappy and clothes and shoes in the bag.

also comes with a rain cover, absolutely water proof.

Top Bottom