Backpack or messenger bags - can anyone recommend a good one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've got hold of a Deuter Speed Lite 15 which works well - although if I bought another it'd be the 20 since the 15 is a bit small (have in there A5 diary, A5 notebook, shirt/pants, bits/pieces, phones)

Norm

I've got a Lowe Alpine Airzone Active 28, which I've been using pretty much every day for 3 years and which I think is brill. The back support is good enough that I don't notice the back with the daily accoutrements and the ventilation is good enough that I don't get any more sweaty than when I'm without it. Lots of space, two compartments and elasticated outside stash space, built in rain cover, loops for attaching lights... I'll be getting another if this one gives up, although there's no sign of it doing so yet.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
As mentioned in another post, I ended up buying a Vaude Bike Alpin 25+5 (currently has 25% OFF at Edinburgh Bicycle).

It's only my first week commuting with it, but I'm very happy :thumbsup: The mesh back system really does work – no sweaty back compared to using a much smaller Hydrapak Big Sur with it's foam pads against my back, and there are plenty of pockets and compartments to sensibly organise my stuff.

I really like the zipped 'floor' in the main body of the bag which allows you to use either one big storage area, or – as I prefer – a smaller lower section (I've got my overshoes and rain jacket in there) and larger upper section (perfect for change of clothes, lunch etc.). There's a small lower external pocket that currently houses my tools and tubes with room to spare, and that still leaves a large upper external, map pocket (?) and top pocket so I've got choices where to stick my wallet, keys and phone! Oh and as suggested by the product name, the whole main section can be expanded by 5L if required.

If not out of budget, I'd suggest it's well worth a look.

Have a Deuter Race Exp Air. Lovely system where the pack is kept off your back allowing air to circulate. Separate rain cover stowed in the pack for the English summer. Helmet cage so it's not hanging from your handlebars when off the bike and hydration bladder ready. You can get them for about £40 now if you look around. Lovely piece of kit with the bulk of the weight at the base of the back rather than high up in the shoulder blades.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
'sort of messenger bag' Schwalbe Recycled Tyre Bag. Cheap as chips, (£20 or thereabouts) hardwearing, screams "I'm a cyclist" at passers-by, and made form recycled materials...
9buYXZc0Gfuv5wPzW5N1ylx02i-KFBgFsqWSVVSJEVgPoYkhSRIROdJR5jXmCM1gFF_agcm0yMb2Cj12QcL95s3Uj1lW5CU1rQ5P0cdUUIW_rHg5tEX2KlP9tZ4LI2cVLKhXHhBhN0_2j2fnjjhTirBhal3jzqEOqTC-1vuQzANNEyvld3xFFvrNzZsv_bf83NM_Q1O_iw_2cAtzWL5Axm6Kj1hMYVdw3ETpdTiY7jEAa-BQBfR6KmIvog

for more money? something like a crumpler double charge? ebay is your friend here.

Top Bottom