Backpacking knife suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
So does anybody have any suggestions for a backpacking knife? I'm doing a bit of backpacking and I'd like to take a knife. Keep in mind the following:

i. I'm in the US so not too many restrictions (do like the idea of a locking mechanism)
ii. I'm not bothered about anything over ~8cm blade length (this isn't for personal protection* or a "tactical" knife -whatever that is)
iii. I'd like a folding knife
iv. single blade only -no multiple blades as I just don't need them
v. I'm going to be using this pretty much for whittling wood to start fires (almost anywhere in New England is trees when you go hiking)
vi. Not made in China, thanks

At the moment I've been using my grandfather's old Richmond works made in Sheffield pen knife with a 9 cm blade, which is fine, but I'm reticent to keep taking it out with me for fear of losing it as it's too much of a sentimental attachment. At the moment I'm thinking of a MAM with a liner lock or an Opinel -both of which are cheap enough that if I lose them, I won't be too worried. Any one had any experience with these?

*I was all alone in the woods on a single camp and had a black bear right outside my tent once, and believe me, I wasn't going out to confront it no matter how big of a knife I might have with me! And yes, rather stupidly I realized I had a Marmite sandwich in the tent I'd forgotten about... Mind you if it was a brown bear I'd have needed a personal toilet in my tent.

rikki

Legendary Member
Opinel are good. The wooden handles mean they are lighter* than some other knives and they come in a range of sizes. I have one with a rounded end (like kindergarten scissors) which is very sharp but is obviously not intended to be used as a weapon.

* no doubt there are titanium and carbon fiber handles which are slightly lighter and way more expensive.

battered

Guru
Opinel

Edit - the Opinel meets the OP's brief, but when I am backpacking I take a Swiss Army knife. Just a basic one, the Climber, or is it Spartan. Either way, 2 blades, tin opener, bottle opener, corkscrew are all very handy. The screwdriver gets a remarkable amount of use too. The Opinel lives in the cook bag, it's a better blade for food prep, but the Swissy is the one that lives in my pocket and gets reached for several times every day. They do one with a split ring, this is handy for a lanyard so you can't drop it. Once a climber...

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
A sensible answer depends entirely upon the use to which you intend to put it. For general purpose use the USMC 'Semper Fi' Rescue Knife is a good tool, and even the old Ka Bar is inexpensive and effective.

As for bear, you really need a big ol' forty-five, or a Glock 32 chambered for .357 SIG if you want something with a more compact frame. Anything less is liable to aggravate them rather than stop them.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
For a camp knife on the cheap you simply can’t beat Mora. Fixed blade rather than folder too, so that you can baton kindling. The Opinel lockring has been known to ping off under heavy load (DAMNIKT)
Mora make a good range of bushcraft knives, often supplied with a sheath, ferrocerium rod and diamond stone in one package. Carbon steel if you can remember to wipe and oil; or stainless, which needs a little more work when honing

A sensible answer depends entirely upon the use to which you intend to put it. For general purpose use the USMC 'Semper Fi' Rescue Knife is a good tool, and even the old Ka Bar is inexpensive and effective.

As for bear, you really need a big ol' forty-five, or a Glock 32 chambered for .357 SIG if you want something with a more compact frame. Anything less is liable to aggravate them rather than stop them.
Do you get a lot of bears round your way drago?

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately, no bears up my end.

However, chatting on Skype the other day to an ex workmate in Pennsylvania from my time BG'ing over there and he was moaning that a bear has been through his dustbins - sorry, trash cans - and made a right mess. I tried to persuade him it was Bigfoot, but was wasn't having it.

Swiss Army knife with a saw blade is quite capable . The opinel is nice but the hinge and lock is not as strong as a modern lock knife. I make a lot of use of a Buck Lite (422), plastic handle, strong lock, good steel. Official knife of the US Scout movement.
In the fixed blade dept, Moras do most of what you need.
My most useful blade on extended tour is a dedicated kitchen knife,Kuhon Rikon paring size, bright yellow handle and sheath.

Regarding bears, stats show that bear-grade spray is more effective than anything else. I have camped on a mountainside with bears around and didnt get much sleep.

got one of these as a hand-me-down from my Dad
Buck 110™ Folding Hunter Wooden Pocket Knife
not mine, photo from internet
buck folding hunter.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

Seeing a you're in the US, check out Spyderco. I have a few and they are superb design and quality... even their cheaper Byrd brand range

Top Bottom