Backpacking knife suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Verdict:
None of the knives are perfect, and all had good edges on them out of the box. If I had to rank them, it would be the British Army knife, followed by the MAM and the Opinel last. But there's something so practical and appealing about the MAM knife with that lovely mechanical "pop" -this is the one I'll be taking backpacking and will be a permanent addition to my larger multi day backpack. The British Army knife is something I'll use for a day hike or general use, and the Opinel is going to be a spare I'll keep in a spare pack or lend out. Keep in mind, depending on how these knives keep an edge (which I haven't tested as I haven't had them long enough for) may change how I think about them. Aesthetically, I have to give it to the Opinel. Practically, I'll give it to the MAM. Robustness I'll give it to the British Army knife.

Thinking about it, this is what I'd love: the blade of the British Army knife, and more precise mechanism of the MAM liner lock, and the handle and collar width of the Opinel. I do think each are more than worthy additions to a backpack though, and given the costs involved, each is a very worthy addition. The MAM is just dirt cheap.

One last thing: only the British Army knife came equipped with a lanyard loop, something I personally prefer. The Opinel and MAM knives I drilled my own hole for a loop into them.

Last edited:
My son bought me a Schrade Imperial Sodbuster (large) one birthday. It's an honest utilitarian knife that can take a beating, keeps its edge and is cheap enough not to cry about if it gets mislaid. I lost it. I mispurchased the small version of it which is identical in all but size. So I keep the wee one in my saddlebag and the big one comes to work with me.

rikki

Legendary Member
Rogers British Army Knife (Made in Sheffield, England $22 US) -ahhh, here we have the "tank" of these knives. Of all the knives, this is the most solid, though it has to be said it weighs twice as much as the Opinel, so weight weenies, beware! While this knife is a pocket knife and doesn't have a lock, the spring mechanism is extremely firm, and gives confidence. Add this to the biggest blade thickness of all the knives here, and you have a knife that might -just might -be up to gentle battoning as opposed to not even thinking about it with the previous knives. And yes, it also has a lanyard loop! So the negatives? Well, it's the heaviest of the lot, and doesn't have a lock, and the knife is an all metal construction with no nice aesthetic woodwork. But then again, if you wanted a knife with a lock you wouldn't be buying this?

View attachment 593492
It should certainly handle some battoning.
I have a version of this with a marlin spike. Many years ago we used it to cut a hole in the floor of a Chrysler to access the transmission. It did the job and survived the beating.
Still very sharp and used to cut rope.

Baldy

Über Member
Classic Swiss Army Pen Knife (farnell.com) All I carry is one of these, it's probably got two more blades than it really needs. Doesn't get that much use but a small sharp blade can be handy. In nearly fifty years of backpacking, bikepacking, kayak camping and mountaineering I've still not found a need for a great big rambo knife.

Top Bottom