Bad form?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyPeace

I was not particulary vexed by this , though it did warrant a tut, though I'm not sure who at?? the driver or me?? My current route to work takes me over a roundabout, but where I exit I turn right, leaving the road and joining a central reservation in the road which a cycle path crosses. I check, signal to leave the roundabout and position my self in primary position, check again then signal right by moving my arm up and down (I think that's the correct gesture for pulling over to the right/leaving road to the right?).
Today I do this and as I go to turn I see a car that has decided to overtake me, despite my primary position and the lack of space. He crossed over into an area of road that is hatched in white lines, which I though meant it was not part of the road, so I was suprised to see him there. No harm came of it but could have been nasty. My bad or his?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Google Map of the roundabout?

Tim Hall

Surprisingly, you signal right by sticking your right arm out. Waving it up and down means you're slowing down or preparing to stop. So it could be that the car driver thought you were slowing down and thought it safe to pass you.

If the hatched area is bounded by dashed white lines the driver can't enter it unless it's necessary and safe. If it's bounded by a solid white line, the driver can't enter it except in an emergency.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

Surprisingly, you signal right by sticking your right arm out. Waving it up and down means you're slowing down or preparing to stop. So it could be that the car driver thought you were slowing down and thought it safe to pass you.

If the hatched area is bounded by dashed white lines the driver can't enter it unless it's necessary and safe. If it's bounded by a solid white line, the driver can't enter it except in an emergency.

Yeah the waving arm means pulling over to stop the side you wave indicates which side your pulling over to? As I'm not turning right on to a road, but a central reservation on a cycle route I think it's the best signal to use?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Isnt waving your arm to warn of a hazard ahead? I do it when I am letting pedestrains cross so that cars behind know that they need to slow down. Works most of the time (apart from the woman who still passed me when I was letting a lorry cross a seemingly empty road (some people have no manners)).

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

just to be clear, I don't wave my arm on every turn I make :smile: I use the waving arm signal when I'm leaving the road. I've convinced myself that road users won't recognise where I'm turning if I just signal normally, as there is no road to follow.

snorri

Legendary Member
Isnt waving your arm to warn of a hazard ahead? I do it when I am letting pedestrains cross so that cars behind know that they need to slow down. Works most of the time (apart from the woman who still passed me when I was letting a lorry cross a seemingly empty road (some people have no manners)).
There is no hand signal to warn of a hazard ahead.
Not sure what you mean by "letting pedestrians cross", they either have priority over you or they don't.
There are times and places in life where it's nice to offer little courtesies but on the roads this can lead to confusion for other road users and place people in danger.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

There is no hand signal to warn of a hazard ahead.
Not sure what you mean by "letting pedestrians cross", they either have priority over you or they don't.
There are times and places in life where it's nice to offer little courtesies but on the roads this can lead to confusion for other road users and place people in danger.

Curious to know how you'd take the route I suggested. Starting to think my waving arm signal is wrong, I don't do it to be polite, I do it to inform traffic where I'm going. Perphaps I should just signal right.

snorri

Legendary Member
Curious to know how you'd take the route I suggested. Starting to think my waving arm signal is wrong, I don't do it to be polite, I do it to inform traffic where I'm going. Perphaps I should just signal right.
AndyPeace, my response in Post 11 was meant for Matthew-T, sorry I confused you:sad:

I may have got this wrong?

- You're coming off the rab on to St Peter's Drive, and immediately crossing the hatched area onto the little island?
- And then carrying on ... up the shared use pavement on Crookbarrow Way?

Fwiw - that'd give me kittens.

If there was nothing more than very light traffic, I suppose I might think of coming off the rab directly into the hatched area, braking and turning over on to the island - but that exit is designed purely for cars to come off ... fast. Something tells me I'd only do it once, though.

There's no signalling (aye and no time for signalling) that'll work to make your manouevre clear or expected for traffic behind you?

That looks like one truly horrible roundabout - and given the kerb on Crookbarrow Way, I'd be a wimp and find some route that gets on to the cycle paths some way before the rab, or even walk it.

But maybe I'm reading your route wrong.

OP
OP
AndyPeace

AndyPeace

I wasn't confused anymore than ussual :smile:
I also use the wavey arm signal here . I leave the roundabout on to Dugdale Drive, then imeadiatley turn left onto the cycle path. So to make it clear after signalling left to leave the roundabout I wave my arm up and down to say I'm pulling off the road (to the left)

Top Bottom