Bafang 350w or 500w

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bkulacs0410

Hi there,

I had converted a Boardman MTX 8.6 with Bafang 750W 48V 17.5Ah before and it was a killer. I found to way too powerful for my intended use so I sold it on the very next day.

Now, I have a Whyte Whitechapel V2 as I wanted to go as low weight as possible for the budget and have been riding for a while in London, mostly flat in central.

I am thinking between the 350W 36V 10Ah or 15Ah as there is only a 1kg difference between the two batteries or should I go for 500W? I want the lightest possible because in case I run out of battery, I can still pedal.

My bike is around 11kg-12kg and if I add a kit it will make it around 17kg-19kg which is not that light to pedal but still below the 20kg.

What are your opinions on getting the 350W 36V? and should I get 10Ah or 15Ah?

What I need really is just a little extra push and not going faster than 20mph. Also- I intend to use it for about 50kms max.

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to your responses

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does it fall within the current definition/specs of a electric bike or does it stray into electric moped territory? If it does you might be in trouble with the Bill.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Legal limit is 250W unless you want to wear a motorbike helmet and get an MoT, licence and insurance. So the answer to your question is "neither".

Drago

Legendary Member
Keep it to the legal 250W, unless you have access to private land and are intending to razz it around there. The last thing we want is for ebikes to end up getting documented or, even worse, banned because a few people don't know how to behave.

So to answer the question, neither, unless you have private land then the answer is 350W and 15Ah.

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi there,

I had converted a Boardman MTX 8.6 with Bafang 750W 48V 17.5Ah before and it was a killer. I found to way too powerful for my intended use so I sold it on the very next day.

Now, I have a Whyte Whitechapel V2 as I wanted to go as low weight as possible for the budget and have been riding for a while in London, mostly flat in central.

I am thinking between the 350W 36V 10Ah or 15Ah as there is only a 1kg difference between the two batteries or should I go for 500W? I want the lightest possible because in case I run out of battery, I can still pedal.

My bike is around 11kg-12kg and if I add a kit it will make it around 17kg-19kg which is not that light to pedal but still below the 20kg.

What are your opinions on getting the 350W 36V? and should I get 10Ah or 15Ah?

What I need really is just a little extra push and not going faster than 20mph. Also- I intend to use it for about 50kms max.

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to your responses

If you want more punch, go for 48Volt or even 52V battery with less Amperage. Reason is you get same power delivery but with less current. Current is what heats up the motor.

350Watts or 500W doesn't matter unless you want real punch.

Get yourself a programming cable and check out sites where you can set all parameters to give you range benefits or power enhancements

Top Bottom