Bag that folds down REALLY small?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hi folks. Reading about some train companies being a bit awkward about allowing folding bikes on trains, and also wanting to occasionally disguse by buke in order to take it on the bus, I want a bag to put it into that will then squash really small into a pouch that can be carried on the frame.
Des anyone know of such a bag, or will I have to get the sewing machine out?

jay clock

Massive member
Lightweight sail cloth?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Or, and I know it sounds daft, but a Brompton rider I know uses a thick garden waste sack...kinda like a thick black bin liner, he stuffs it onto the frame rolled up like a sausage. He only uses it in emergencies tho.

robgul

Legendary Member
I have what looks like a "giant shower cap" made from very, very light black ripstop nylon (with the hem elasticated) that fits over my Dahon folder - you just hold the frame through the fabric to carry it - simples.

It folds (screws) up so small that you could get it in your pocket. I have a Carradice mini saddle-pack with a tube, multi-tool etc ... and the cover stows in there.

The fabric was about £5 online and a friend* ran her sewing machine round to make the bag and hem etc

Rob

* we're even thinking of making them for sale ... - along with very lightweight fitted nylon saddle covers.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I have what looks like a "giant shower cap" made from very, very light black ripstop nylon (with the hem elasticated) that fits over my Dahon folder - you just hold the frame through the fabric to carry it - simples.

It folds (screws) up so small that you could get it in your pocket. I have a Carradice mini saddle-pack with a tube, multi-tool etc ... and the cover stows in there.

The fabric was about £5 online and a friend* ran her sewing machine round to make the bag and hem etc

Rob

* we're even thinking of making them for sale ... - along with very lightweight fitted nylon saddle covers.
I was thinking of something along those lines, but I'm very happy with the one on order!

diapason

Carradice make one which looks good - it comes with a little storage bag which hangs on the saddle rails.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
if you want to go a bit more utility. Birdy do a rucksack with a fold out bike cover. good points solid cordura material so not going to rip easily, not as heavy as it sounds (though no nylon lightweight either), it is an all-in-1 solution, looks pretty smart when in rucksack/briefcase format, good size for clothes or lapto or A4 folders and is comfy to wear (well padded as the bike bag fold out bit is the back panel when you're wearing it).
Bad points, you're potentially leaving the contents of the rucksack with the bike in storage when the bike is bagged and it is Birdy expensive nowadays will be approx £110.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I think maybe Arch and I will work on designing a cheap Brompton sized transit cover, made from recycled materials, as a new product range.:thumbsup:
Have a look at the one I linked to, the design is very clever as the strap fixes to the bike directly, meaning that the fabric of the cover doesn't take the weight of the bike.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Have a look at the one I linked to, the design is very clever as the strap fixes to the bike directly, meaning that the fabric of the cover doesn't take the weight of the bike.
Thanks for that. Looks very effective.:thumbsup:
We were thinking of the sort of cover that leaves the Brompton seat exposed for carrying.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The original Brompton cover fits over the top of the bike with an open base, closed by a draw cord. There is a slit in the top so that your hand can reach the saddle for carrying, as there is no straps to fuss with. A bit like a tea cosy! It packs into a saddle-hanging bag when not in use. I'm glad mine is still in good condition.

Top Bottom