Baggage option...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
IMG_3380.jpg

For anyone on the hunt for a smallish, quality bag for a laptop.

I also frequent some photography forums as I do a bit of that too.

And someone posted a link to a Manfrotto BeFree camera/laptop bag that was reduced from £99 to £27.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0196HV8IK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had it delivered to work and then had to figure out how to get it home.

As I also had my C-bag at work, I I figured I might be able to take the frame off and use that to get this other one home.

It's almost a perfect fit and, with a bit of fettling, i.e. take the frame apart to slot it through the strap on the back, would be pretty secure. The flap uses clips to close, and as you can see, these also wrapped around the frame.

The handle was bodged in this instance (I used a compression strap to help with tennis elbow), but any self closing velcro (other hook and loop systems are available) strap would work.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
Thanks for this. Can we see it from a couple of other angles as well?

For commuting, shopping, etc., I have pretty much always used a T-Bag, which is an extremely practical bag, plus an effective wind-break. But at times, I've wondered if I should get an S-Bag or something for summer. I have a mini-O-bag for when I don't need to carry a laptop. But definitely feel a slimmer option would be better, but can't bring myself to buy any more Brompton luggage.

However, recently, when knowing that I was going to be spending two days riding into a likely headwind riding from London to Cardiff, without a laptop, but requiring more luggage space than the mini-O-bag would allow, I treated myself to a 15L Topeak Backloader. I'm really impressed with it to be honest. On the London to Cardiff ride, I used it to hold a change of shoes and clothes for a long weekend and day of watching Rugby in the Principality Stadium. In the mini-O-bag, just had additional energy, tools, tubes, layers that I'd need quickly, chargers, spares, etc.

Since finishing the ride, I had a go at getting in my laptop and usual stuff I take to work (slightly inspired by a GCN episode on aero commuting). Unless I know I need to carry more than the backloader can hold, or know it's going to be raining really heavily (as I only use the dry bag included for clothes), then I just use the backloader to commute now. With a lot in it, it can be a little bit of pendulum, unless properly tightened up, but then I've found that's improved my out of the saddle technique quite a bit. Plus, took nearly a minute off my time on a lap of Richmond Park compared to doing with the T-Bag.

While not necessarily a cheap bag, it does have the advantage of working with any bike pretty much. I can still fold with the bag attached and get the saddle low enough to keep it locked, so it doesn't ruin the Brommie experience either.

Attachments

• backloader.jpg
    backloader.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20190428-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20190428-WA0016.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 24

12boy

Guru
I have used a smallish seatbag for years. Very easy to set up with a saddle with bag loops. Mine is big enough to hold a tool roll, a phone, wallet and a heavy sweater or jacket, maybe a water flask. No wind drag. For heavy or large loads there is the front bag.

Top Bottom