Bakfiets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not my usual thing, but we have just acquired this:wacko:

Photo-0.jpg

This is a first toe in the water to see if we can/will go carless. I'd have splashed on an electric assist Bullitt with e assist and a gates drive but instead we have the a "pre-loved" agricultural beast. Three speed rear derailleur, band brakes including foot actuation for the rear, interesting V brake parking brake arrangement using a thumb shifter, and a possibility of instant death. Thus far I have adjusted the front bands so that hopefully it stops in a straightish line rather than veering off into traffic:eek:

Attachments

• Photo-1.jpg
    Photo-1.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Photo-2.jpg
    Photo-2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo-3.jpg
    Photo-3.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo-4.jpg
    Photo-4.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 18
That is tremendous! Very wise to wait until the kids are too old to need to be carried :okay:

Not my usual thing, but we have just acquired this:wacko:

View attachment 524276

This is a first toe in the water to see if we can/will go carless. I'd have splashed on an electric assist Bullitt with e assist and a gates drive but instead we have the a "pre-loved" agricultural beast. Three speed rear derailleur, band brakes including foot actuation for the rear, interesting V brake parking brake arrangement using a thumb shifter, and a possibility of instant death. Thus far I have adjusted the front bands so that hopefully it stops in a straightish line rather than veering off into traffic:eek:

Awesome. Being car free is easier than people think: you'll be amazed at what you can carry in a Bakfiets.

I recommend a large blanket and a rope to hold stuff down...

The cunning part of the plan is that they may now learn to be ready to go out on time, rather than ask me for a lift in the car.:okay:

Yup, true independence is knowing what time the train leaves* instead of relying on your parents to take you. Our kids have much more freedom to go where they want, roughly when they want, than their peers.

Which reminds me, I'm not sure where they are right now...

*Or just cycling, obviously

tom73

Guru
Love it I'd happily have one just no room at the moment Mrs 73 is ok with bikes around the place inc her's but i'm not pushing it :smile:
How do you steer a thing like that ?
Reminds me my Grandfather long before i was born once sold home made ice cream on a bike a bit like that.
Until someone grassed him up for not having a sink :sad:

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Love it I'd happily have one just no room at the moment Mrs 73 is ok with bikes around the place inc her's but i'm not pushing it :smile:
How do you steer a thing like that ?
Reminds me my Grandfather long before i was born once sold home made ice cream on a bike a bit like that.
Until someone grassed him up for not having a sink :sad:

To steer. the wheels are fixed and the box pivots, so you push/pull the bar in the required direction. This takes a bit of getting used to * and as @classic33 has said the faster you go the twitchier it gets. Plus, the rear keeps going straight on especially if you try and turn sharply.

*I have not got used to it yet

Top Bottom