Balance bikes on MTB trails?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billflat12

Veteran
Great we can encourage youngsters this way, all my local trail centers encourage beginners but recommend a well maintained quality mountain bike, Its always been quite common for riders to take the pet dog on all mtb routes, not sure how any insurance liability would view this or a small child on a balance bike ( with or without brakes) using mtb trails ? Think most people would be fine about basic family routes , you should really make proper inquiries before venturing on anything above.

Can we ban the fat blokes in baggy lycra pushing their long suffering full sussers up the singletrack switchback climbs, full face helmets balanced on their head, who don't get out the way as you're busting your gut to keep riding up and have to get off and walk behind them?

02GF74

Über Member
that's like asking if mobility scooters are ok for use on the motorway?

My impression was that trail centres - and note that I have only been to one in Cannock so camnot comment about the one you are using - are for people who can cycle and maintain a decent pace, very often the riders go quite quickly.

putting a tiny kiddie on something that does not count as a bicycle in the way is both dangerous for the child as well as other riders.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
The International Mountain Biking Association UK define 'green' trails as suitable for:

Novice cyclists and families.
Children 4+yrs riding solo.
Bikes with childseats or trailers.
Touring bikes.
Bikes for those with disabilities.

Personally I'd be delighted to see a toddler on a balance bike at a trail centre.

As regards being an obstacle the usual rule is that a rider in front of you has right of way (but I reckon it's also polite to let faster riders through at the first convenient opportunity.)

From time to time I encounter dogs on the red route at Llandegla - I'm happy to see them enjoying themselves too. Hope I never hit one though.

Tango

that's like asking if mobility scooters are ok for use on the motorway?

My impression was that trail centres - and note that I have only been to one in Cannock so camnot comment about the one you are using - are for people who can cycle and maintain a decent pace, very often the riders go quite quickly.

putting a tiny kiddie on something that does not count as a bicycle in the way is both dangerous for the child as well as other riders.
I'd agree re Cannock as its a red route

OP
OP
macbikes

macbikes

That's interesting - just looked at the MTB uk website and for blue trails it says age 10+, but my 6 year old can competently do red routes (he has just started at a MTB club - that's why the little one is getting all this trail experience as we have to hang around all day)

02GF74

Über Member
That's interesting - just looked at the MTB uk website and for blue trails it says age 10+, but my 6 year old can competently do red routes (he has just started at a MTB club - that's why the little one is getting all this trail experience as we have to hang around all day)

not sure how that is relevant - I thought the question was putting a tiny 4 year old tot on a balance bike i.e. not a bike and something which has no means of propulsion nor of stopping onto trails at a trail centre? IMO it's wrong but he is your child so you take responsibility.

billflat12

Veteran
Can we ban the fat blokes in baggy lycra pushing their long suffering full sussers up the singletrack switchback climbs, full face helmets balanced on their head, who don't get out the way as you're busting your gut to keep riding up and have to get off and walk behind them?

As already mentioned its " horses for courses" should we also ban the novice xc riders that stop or descend slowly on fast technical downhill , some trailcentres do become a bit of a"free for all" at weekends so it,s down to common etiquette . don,t know of any child friendly blue only routes suitable for balance bikes myself, most mtb routes also combine a combination of grades
After reading http://imba.org.uk/where-to-ride/trail-grading/ it really would help if OP could be more specific about choice of terrain etc. when asking for opinions.

OP
OP
macbikes

macbikes

Relevant because if blue is supposed to be age 10+ and it is clearly not the case that it is only suitable for over 10s, then maybe green trails are also suitable for some riders under 4. The green trail I'm referring to is forest track on the way we go up, and flowing singletrack on the way down, with good visibility.

I am slightly confused about "no means of stopping or propulsion"?

Tango

Relevant because if blue is supposed to be age 10+ and it is clearly not the case that it is only suitable for over 10s, then maybe green trails are also suitable for some riders under 4. The green trail I'm referring to is forest track on the way we go up, and flowing singletrack on the way down, with good visibility.

I am slightly confused about "no means of stopping or propulsion"?

I would guess that 02GF74 means no pedals or brakes

As already mentioned its " horses for courses" should we also ban the novice xc riders that stop or descend slowly on fast technical downhill , some trailcentres do become a bit of a"free for all" at weekends so it,s down to common etiquette . don,t know of any child friendly blue only routes suitable for balance bikes myself, most mtb routes also combine a combination of grades
After reading http://imba.org.uk/where-to-ride/trail-grading/ it really would help if OP could be more specific about choice of terrain etc. when asking for opinions.
That's kinda my pt. The guidelines are just that and you get all sorts using them and why not. Common sense must prevail and the OP seems to be using his common sense. There should be no prescriptive rules.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It would soon become obvious if the balance biker was either being endangered, or in turn endangering (rather than simply inconveniencing) other riders. You cannot be prescriptive, as some parents are better at common sense than others, and even with grading, the quality and technical content even of blues trails varies. If we spend all our time getting uptight about it, we spoil our own day out, and that of others. I occasionally like a spin round Sherwood Pines. The red route has never seen even a light pink in terms of gnaarr, at least compared with say Ae or wherever, and as a result doesn't put off the folk not familiar with trail etiquette, or those put off by tech features. Last time I rode there was a busy weekend, and I was hammering along one fast section to find a Dad pushing a toddler towards me on a trike. What can you do? Do you bawl and shout and get everyone upset? Far easier to point out that the trails are one way and then everyone goes home safe and happy. And then only ride it midweek in termtime!

billflat12

Veteran
I was hammering along one fast section to find a Dad pushing a toddler towards me on a trike. What can you do? Do you bawl and shout and get everyone upset? Far easier to point out that the trails are one way and then everyone goes home safe and happy. And then only ride it midweek in termtime!
Had a big off on false teeth coed y brenin avoiding 3 dog walkers with one of them long extension leads one easter weekend, ( they obviously missed the big stop signs at the bottom of the descent as they walked up ) They scarpered pronto as i picked myself up slightly bruised , can still laugh about it , also them midweek termtime rides are great for " dodge the strimmer " extra obstacles are always part of the fun out on the trails.

lukesdad

I don't ride many trail centres these days for some of the reasons already given ( wombats on balance bikes such as Crax and cubist really are a pain in the @rse lol ) generalising about routes grading tho' is not a good idea IME. Take brechfa for example, the green blue and black routes follow the same paths including substantial amount of fast single track for the first mile and a half. You really would not want to be on there looking after anything but yourself. Some green routes have to share with other grades where land or access are limited.

Anyway what's wrong with your local park for the balance bike ? You're not going to gain anything for the child on a green route that you couldn't get elsewhere.

Top Bottom