Balancing risk and reward

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a certain thrill to risk and to pushing yourself to your limits. I kinda did that when I was an active rock climber/mountaineer and it taught me a lot about my own attitude to risk and my physical limits. Sometimes on the mtn bike I feel a certain frisson as I head towards something but I know my limits and when I'm out my comfort zone, which is reasonably quickly on a bike as I don't have the skills. Trail centres are fun but I think I'm more of an remote XC rider. I say think because I've still not done too much of it on my mtn bike despite promising myself I would, the trouble is making the effort to go somewhere with the bike whereas the road bike you just drag out and ride.

Another thing I do like about the MTB is I can go out my back Door and take the canal & cyckepath to Halton and out onto fields, woods, farm tracks and singketrack roads for a very good ride. Yeah I can do it on a cyclocross bike and have done but it never felt right on a narrow drop handle bar bike on grass downhill descents or thick muddy fields. The wide bars and seating position of the MTB make it more fun, confidence inspiring and controllable. I have just as much fun doing that locally and it's made for winter shitty conditions. I can ride all year in all weathers on all terrain and don't always need to put it in the van and hit the lakes. MTB is not always about daredevil riding I suppose.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@rideswithmoobs that sounds great, you're really lucky with what you have on your doorstep! I can't complain at all (Dartmoor & Exmoor are 45 mins away Haldon trail centre less than that, and a few local trails right next to work), but it would be great to be able to take the MTB from the front door and get off road. Mind you, then my road bikes might feel a bit neglected!

That's a really nice looking bike you've got there too btw :smile:

@rideswithmoobs that sounds great, you're really lucky with what you have on your doorstep! I can't complain at all (Dartmoor & Exmoor are 45 mins away Haldon trail centre less than that, and a few local trails right next to work), but it would be great to be able to take the MTB from the front door and get off road. Mind you, then my road bikes might feel a bit neglected!

That's a really nice looking bike you've got there too btw :smile:

Sounds like we both live in pretty nice areas for cycling :okay:
Bikes a Whyte 905 I only got it a few weeks ago. I was considering the Whyte Gisburn gravel bike but off-road on drops I just never got in with. I like Whyte bikes and my genesis day one.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
.......FWIW I'm early thirties.....!
Just a baby then.

You are more or less likely to have a small off each time you ride MTB, it's the law.

We were discussing trail centres and general off road. You know with a trail centre, that it's designed to be ridden, even if it looks scary. General off road, if it is scary, it might not be ridable. Risks are higher, so you ride within your limits.
I don't plan on falling off on any trip so not sure about that statement? I'm also not sure that cliff I rode down (twice!) was really 'designed' to be rideable......
Trouble is I have a 60 year old body and a 16 year old brain when it comes to taking chances.

Growing older is compulsory, growing up is not.
My wife keeps saying 'age is a terrible thing' because of the effect it has on peoples bodies and minds. The trouble is I am fast approaching my mid-40s but still ride like a twenty-something year old and feel about 18. Maybe age will catch up with me one day but it will have to be bloody quick because I don't intend slowing down :laugh:.

I usually give it 100% when on the MTB and sometimes a bit more for good measure. I always remember an interview I once heard with an F1 driver (can't remember who it was) but what he said kind of summed it up for me. He said that when driving around the track on the very edge of what is possible you cannot always be in control if you want to be the fastest. He made an analogy to running along the edge of a cliff and coming to some parts where the ground had fallen away. At these points you just had to keep running as fast as you could and jump the void. Once you have jumped you are no longer in control but as long as you have somewhere safe to land and can reach that point then the moments of uncontrolled motion don't matter.
This doesn't mean that the moments spent in the air after hitting a jump are ok but more that sometimes you might ride something too steep, or too slippy or too rocky and you just have to let go of your brakes and go with it until you get back to 'good' ground. I guess the skill is in knowing when to do that or realising quickly enough that sh!t, this is one of 'those' moments.

Jody

Stubborn git
I guess the skill is in knowing when to do that or realising quickly enough that sh!t, this is one of 'those' moments.

Exactly that and only experience can teach you about those situations.

@ChrisEyles Ever thought about ding a skills course locally. They can teach you a lot of fundementals like body positionning etc. It may seem obvious but they can really improve your technique for not much money.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
@I like Skol that reassures me that I'm not the only loony with a death wish on the bike ;) Seriously though, what you've written makes good sense. It's just kind of inconvenient that the only way to fine tune that sense of judgement is to get stuck in and occasionally make painful mistakes!

@Jody, yes, I've considered going along to a skills class up at Haldon some time (Mrs Chris is worried they'll try to teach me to do death-defying aerial stunts though!). I think my body positioning and general technique isn't too bad (except that my high-ish seat and low-ish bar preference makes life difficult on steep bumpy downs), but I'm sure I'd learn a lot of other stuff either way.

I went out today and road the canal and phsycho path to caton and then up to the caton wind farm and rode some of the north lancs bridleway. ....
IMG_4313.JPG

I was thinking about this risk reward lark as I rode and couldn't help thinking that I enjoy packing the bike in the van and heading out to the lakes but in those hills in winter, alone and isolated it's a big risk, but where I was today was not so and I loved it. Yes there is always risk and danger but it's less in this environment, and it's more populated. I then got to thinking how much I enjoy just jumping on the bike at the back Door and setting off with no driving involved. 90% was single track or off road so no traffic and it was relatively safe alone. Local clubs like the bog trotters ride out on Saturdays which is not an option for me, safety in numbers, so solo riding during the week is my only possibility. This led me to think that 80% of my riding could be done in a much safer environment than the one I was in at Garburn pass but I don't need a Whyte MTB to do it.
I was left thinking do I need this new MTB ?
Have I bought the wrong bike ?
Have I tried to take on a more safer type of cycling but actually added more risk due to the fact I ride alone ?

Too much time to think today

It's rare not to come back in from an mtb ride with a cut or bruise somewhere. With the wife often asking 'how did that happen?' while pointing to some mark on my body. I tend to push it pretty hard, looking to see if I can still crush strava numbers from previous years and younger riders. Plus the trend recently is to add 'features' to the local trails and while they actually slow me down I do attempt to hit all the jumps, rollers, drops and skinnies that the local trail crew have built.

I also think there's a wee proving to myself aspect, that as I approach 50 I can still ride as hard as I like and still take the knocks. I still want to hit Whistler one more time, before I'm too old for that.

It's rare not to come back in from an mtb ride with a cut or bruise somewhere. With the wife often asking 'how did that happen?' while pointing to some mark on my body. I tend to push it pretty hard, looking to see if I can still crush strava numbers from previous years and younger riders. Plus the trend recently is to add 'features' to the local trails and while they actually slow me down I do attempt to hit all the jumps, rollers, drops and skinnies that the local trail crew have built.

I also think there's a wee proving to myself aspect, that as I approach 50 I can still ride as hard as I like and still take the knocks. I still want to hit Whistler one more time, before I'm too old for that.

I think at 41 I'm too old to be learning jumps & rollers :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
This led me to think that 80% of my riding could be done in a much safer environment than the one I was in at Garburn pass but I don't need a Whyte MTB to do it.
I was left thinking do I need this new MTB ?
Have I bought the wrong bike ?
Have I tried to take on a more safer type of cycling but actually added more risk due to the fact I ride alone ?

Too much time to think today

You're over thinking it a little. I definitely don't think your bike is over kill and it always leaves you the option to go on harder trails. Its perfect for those type of trails pictured as its light, fast, comfy XC bike. The only issue with the other trail you were riding is isolation and being on your own, which is OK if you know and accept the risks.

As for buying the wrong bike, it's the same as why I bought the bike I did rather than go for a bigger hitting FS. Its comfy for all day riding on the railway paths/local woods which is 50+% of what I do, there is little in the peaks I can't ride on it (all be it not quite as fast as some of the bigger bikes), it will handle trails, pump tracks etc. Its a jack of all trades that stops me going too lairy due it being an XC bike. You have bought a cracking bike that won't hold you back and will be able to do pretty much all that you throw at it.

Top Bottom