ball bearing size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I think I need to replace the ball bearings in the headset of my Dawes Shadow. Can anyone advise me what size I will need. I am not sure how old the bike is but I reckon that it will date back to the 1990s.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Generally they are 5/32″ or 3/16. Best to take them all out, clean them, and the races/cups and take them to your local bike shop for replacements. Unless you have a vernier gauge and can measure them.
Do they actually need replacement and just not a good clean up and regrease?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
5/32 or 3/16ths - you may need to check first as I no doubt the races may be pitted so you'll be looking at a new headset. Tange Passage are good.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Generally they are 5/32″ or 3/16. Best to take them all out, clean them, and the races/cups and take them to your local bike shop for replacements. Unless you have a vernier gauge and can measure them.
Do they actually need replacement and just not a good clean up and regrease?

Not sure really, The head rotates freely enough but when riding the bike it feels a bit odd, the best way I can describe it is that it feels as though the front tyre is a little soft. The nearest bike shop to my home is 20 miles away so I need to buy on line, perhaps I will buy a set of each size that you suggest. I will of course service the present bearings first to see if that cures the problem.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not sure really, The head rotates freely enough but when riding the bike it feels a bit odd, the best way I can describe it is that it feels as though the front tyre is a little soft. The nearest bike shop to my home is 20 miles away so I need to buy on line, perhaps I will buy a set of each size that you suggest. I will of course service the present bearings first to see if that cures the problem.

Have you checked the front hub bearings for any play?

midlife

Guru
Off the top of my head good old screw 1" headsets use 3/16.

If not that good with loose balls Weldtite do caged bearings that are OK

tyred

Legendary Member
5/32" generally speaking.

The only exception I have come across is on my pre-war Elswicks which have a 1/8" (and a lot of them!).

You'll probably need 25 top and bottom of putting them in loose. Use grease to hold them in place as you assemble it again.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

All sorted guys, thanks for your tips👍

Top Bottom