Ball bearing wear out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi😏

I have come from far away and traveled long distances but still no one has been able to answer the question:

Do ball bearings wear out faster if my tires are pumped up at maximum psi shown on the tire?

Because then what does absorb the shocks when you ride over uneven terrain?

Thanks

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi😏

I have come from far away and traveled long distances but still no one has been able to answer the question:

Do ball bearings wear out faster if my tires are pumped up at maximum psi shown on the tire?

Because then what does absorb the shocks when you ride over uneven terrain?

Thanks
I would say no, at a guess.
The spokes would take up any vibration from the road, and unless you trash the wheel then the bearings will wear at a normal rate.
I have a pair of wheels on my Condor that were hand built 18 years ago and the hubs are still as smooth as the day they first rolled out of the shop at 100psi, with no adjustment since 2002.

Your tyres are still absorbing a lot of the shock. Try riding the bike on just the rims if you doubt this.

there was an excellent youtube video years ago of a group of lads doing just that for the life of me i've not been able to find it, the sparks were amazing and how they kept the bikes upright I have no idea, I've had to do it once with the tyre still on and it was a proper handful just to stay upright.

OP
OP
A

allstargeorge

Thanks. I also have a question. I am forced to spray cleaning viniguar with a plant spray in my concrete box where my bike is stored in because I have dust mites and they make me itchy at night. But do you think the viniguar on the concrete floor freshly sprayed on it could eat the tires from outside in or is it okay since it eat rubber as I'm told 🤔.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Come on @Paulus, you must have an answer that the OP's :wacko: very clear and very reasonable question. Anyway in what way do spokes "take up vibration from the road"? How can hubs "roll out of the shop with 100psi"? Grease pressure?
I get it: you are just entering into the spirit of the OP's question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

allstargeorge

Do you think I can I can fix this tear from behind with a normal tube repair kit?

IMG-20201117-WA0002.jpeg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your question might be better on a new thread, imho. It's not about 'ball bearings' is it? Not that the OP was in the first place.
ETA: If the tyre looks OK on the inside:
Go for it - using one of those rectangular MTB tube type patches and making sure the glue is well cured before applying the patch, and then clamp it for 24 hours.
Adhesion will be better if you use a patch the same colour as the tyre ;).
Then pump up well above max - just to test it. Drop the pressure back down before riding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

allstargeorge

Well thanks a lot I learned a lot. 🙂 Tho I did not camp it for 24 hours, I was inpatient.

Plus I used the wrong hard edged Rectangle black orange patches approximately 1mm thick see below.

It's not exactly the same as in the picture but just to show you.

So my guess is that the sharp edges could wear down the inner tube layer bit by bit.

Instead I should have had to use the smooth patches see picture below. Oh well too late now.

This way you get less tube to outer tire repaired inside patch friction.

This is just a guess. I don't know anything about tires and glues.

🙄

I also found a even smaller patch in thinness like 0.5mm.. Why do some brands make it so thin?

Last edited:
Top Bottom