Ball Bearings Info Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chess

Hi all,
A 3 part question regarding Ball bearings:-
1) Sizes:- what is the correct size for
A) Front hub
B) Rear hub
C) Bottom bracket
D) Headset

2) Grades:- Can only seem to find grade 1000, Do they still do grades 100 or even 25 ?
3) Where can i purchase the better grades in pots of 100 or so, UK suppliers please.

Links and advice gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
a)Depends
b)Depends
c)Depends
d)Depends

2) SJS Have 100 and even 10 https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ball-bearings/

3) See above

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Hi Milkfloat,

a)Depends
b)Depends
c)Depends
d)Depends

Can you elaborate ?
I'm wanting bearings for my old Hybrid and others for my partners old Saracen MTB.
My book says 3/16 for front hub and 1/4 for rear hub. But it doesn't give a size for our square taper bottom brackets or headset ?
Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.
Cheers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi Milkfloat,

Can you elaborate ?
I'm wanting bearings for my old Hybrid and others for my partners old Saracen MTB.
My book says 3/16 for front hub and 1/4 for rear hub. But it doesn't give a size for our square taper bottom brackets or headset ?
Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.
Cheers.

I'd be inclined to measure them. A digital vernier can be had cheap, and a proper micrometer from a pukka make (moore & wright, mitutoyo, starrett) won't be more than £20 off fleabay.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Basically, they vary with hub or BB makes. Either look your bike up online (if it's recent or a famous oldie), or take it to bits and measure what you've got. There's very little that's absolutely standard across all cycles. I've even seen pedals with clanking great balls in them...

Tangoup51

3/16" Fw
1/4" Rw
1/4" Bb (though it might just use a bb cartridge? In which case just extracting it will reveal the size as it is marked internally on the cartridge)

Same goes for headset bearings, it depends what type of bearings you have for your headset, if they're integral or semi integral they're going to have cartridges that'd also be marked with a size.

Though I would say you should extract and examine all bearings before determining if they need a replacement anyway, otherwise grease would be jussstt fine.

Top Bottom