Ball park figure Tri Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Lol, the results of my first TT have been published and I'm 2mins slower than was announced on the night, me thinks they are wrong and my GPS supports me. I did forget to switch it on for 0.3 miles so lap 1 contains 0.3miles of warm down and misses 0.3mile at the start but even then I'm sure that 0.3miles didn't take 2 minutes. Lol, so based on the published results with tri bars and the most optimistic calculation, I'd be a second or two slower than than announced/ recorded, hence there's definitely no benefit from them. Edit ;)

screenman

Legendary Member
That last line is absolute tosh, no benefit to you maybe but to most others tri-bars are of a big benefit.

When was the last time a time trial was won by somebody not using tri-bars? unless of course it was a super steep hilly one.

Brahan

Über Member
Lol, the results of my first TT have been published and I'm 2mins slower than was announced on the night, me thinks they are wrong and my GPS supports me. I did forget to switch it on for 0.3 miles so lap 1 contains 0.3miles of warm down and misses 0.3mile at the start but even then I'm sure that 0.3miles didn't take 2 minutes. Lol, so based on the published results with tri bars and the most optimistic calculation, I'd be a second or two slower than than announced/ recorded, hence there's definitely no benefit from them.

People take different lengths of time to get used to riding with tri bars, I suppose. From personal experience, I took over a minute off my 10, just with a set of clip ons. Like I said earlier, the conditions make a huge difference, but it you persevere you'll definitely see the difference. The thing with tri bars is, not only do they allow a more aero position than just being on the drops, but they make the position much easier to hold because your body weight is supported by your shoulders which can take longer bouts of sustained pressure than your arms alone. Aerodynamics aside, riding with your body supported on your elbows is much more enjoyable than going flat out on the drops for 25 miles.

So keep the tri bars and measure their benefit over the next few races, then you'll be able to tell for sure.

gds58

Über Member
That last line is absolute tosh, no benefit to you maybe but to most others tri-bars are of a big benefit.

When was the last time a time trial was won by somebody not using tri-bars? unless of course it was a super steep hilly one.

+1 Absolutely. 'Tri Bars' or 'Aero Bars' whatever you want to call them have been clearly proven over many years to make a significant difference in almost all circumstances. Have a look at the final stage of the Tour De France in 1989 when Greg Lemond used 'Tri Bars' for the first time and all will be come clear. It is easy to find on you tube etc and well worth a watch anyway. I raced extensively at all levels up to international in the 80's and 90's and during that time I went through the introduction of Tri Bars into time trialling and I can honestly say that there is no doubt that they were the biggest single improvement to performances bar none. If you are using them and they are not making any difference to your performances then I would suspect that you are either not getting a good position on the bike to make full advantage of them or you are simply not going anywhere near fast enough for them to really have any effect. Most likely the first option, so have a good look at your position and refine it to a point where you are as aerodynamic as is physically possible AND train in that position to condition your body and muscles to riding in that way. Your times will tumble dramatically I assure you.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan

Maybe I should have added a smiley ;) in addition to the Lol's; I was only joking poking fun at the TT organisers meaning that the Tri bars would give me no benefit if they randomly add 2minutes to your time, it cancels out any benefit, they've amended it now :becool:

screenman

Legendary Member
You should never ever poke fun at people who give of their time freely for your benefit, how many freezing cold street corners have you marshaled on? Smiley or not there was no humour in poking fun at those hard working guys.

oldroadman

Veteran
+1 Absolutely. 'Tri Bars' or 'Aero Bars' whatever you want to call them have been clearly proven over many years to make a significant difference in almost all circumstances. Have a look at the final stage of the Tour De France in 1989 when Greg Lemond used 'Tri Bars' for the first time and all will be come clear. It is easy to find on you tube etc and well worth a watch anyway. I raced extensively at all levels up to international in the 80's and 90's and during that time I went through the introduction of Tri Bars into time trialling and I can honestly say that there is no doubt that they were the biggest single improvement to performances bar none. If you are using them and they are not making any difference to your performances then I would suspect that you are either not getting a good position on the bike to make full advantage of them or you are simply not going anywhere near fast enough for them to really have any effect. Most likely the first option, so have a good look at your position and refine it to a point where you are as aerodynamic as is physically possible AND train in that position to condition your body and muscles to riding in that way. Your times will tumble dramatically I assure you.

|Agree completely. Though the maximum advantage is being able to get your back as flat as possible. The advantage increases as speed rises. Some seen are tilted at odd angles, and presents a barn door effect chest to the wind. In summary, low and flat, and the narrowing effect of the aero bars helps to minimise wind resistance. Big but, you can't expect to fit some and get a big change, you need to work at holding the aero position for a while to get the best effect, and that means training in the position to get your body used to it, because it is (and should be) a bit uncomfortable.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
You should never ever poke fun at people who give of their time freely for your benefit, how many freezing cold street corners have you marshaled on? Smiley or not there was no humour in poking fun at those hard working guys.
Sorry but you don't obviously understand the concept of banter ;) , btw I've marshalled on a few cold street corners my self ;)

Top Bottom