Individual Team Time Trial (For want of a better description!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
I didn't pay much attention to the TTT at Paris -Nice so how does it work?

Lets say Team Roberts start with seven riders, Dave Roberts loses the train and comes in six minutes after Pete Roberts (the star of the team) who shoots off in the last kilometre and finishes a minute in front of the other five and six minutes in front of Dave.

What time do the other five get and what time does Dave get, surely not the same as Pete??

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I tried listening to David Miller's explanation of it several times, but I think Pete wins,, Dave gets his own time as do the other members of the team.
As you say, an individual team time trial.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pete gets Pete's time. The five get the time of the first of the five, assuming that there is no more than one second (?) between each of them. Dave gets his own pathetic time!

I thought it was an interesting change to the rules. I don't know if this was just an experiment though, or going to be the new rule from now on?

I thought it was an interesting change to the rules.

Yeah, me too.

I'm still not a fan of them in a GT, as it reinforces the advantage (on GC) of having the strongest team. But this format makes for a much more interesting mix of tactics. Of course some of the variation may disappear with experience, but I think because each team is different - and some may have more than 1 GC contender - we will continue to see variety. :smile:

I quite liked it. Stops the leaderboard being swamped by one team.

Not sure it will have much affect on the overall given how strong the leader is. He barely needs a team.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bet this was all carefully planned by the DS Brian "the Brain" Roberts. I bet Dave wasn't given much chance over the distance so did a few very hard pulls on the front early on then dropped off. And Pete did hardly any turns on the front before the team launched him near the end.

Dave's priority is the points jersey anyway isn't it? So I doubt he's too fussed at losing time. Maybe they should complicate it even more and make it an individual team time trial with intermediate sprint points on offer ...

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
More interesting than the usual TTT. Favoured teams like UAE where they have one outstanding rider who would otherwise have had a solid time. Less good for Ineos where they have a solid team but no superstar. Good for Jumbo who have both.

Jameshow

Veteran
Sounds like the last mile to the pub when out on a social.

Pete gets to the pub first and buys his own pint, gets the best seat by the fire. The next five arrive and the first one buys a round of five. Dave arrives, buys his own pint and finds out no more seats at the table the group are on.

You speak from experience!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sounds like the last mile to the pub when out on a social.

Pete gets to the pub first and buys his own pint, gets the best seat by the fire. The next five arrive and the first one buys a round of five. Dave arrives, buys his own pint and finds out no more seats at the table the group are on. just as everyone is finishing their drinks and get stitched up to buy a round for seven and has to stand by a draught from the door drinking his!

Top Bottom